When I pick upwards, the strings seem to move (I don't mean vibrating) upwards a lot. In comparison, the strings barely move at all when picking downwards. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here (maybe using my elbow instead of my wrist to make a picking motion?) but picking upwards like that surely can't be good for the strings and could shorten their lifespan.

Note: I'm not having any problem with getting sound to play.

Note: I try to keep my pick perpendicular to the pick guard/face of the guitar.
Quote by stephen_rettie
your unconciously pushing up with your fingers to make up for the downstroke, instead push down hard towards the fretboard

Sorry? Say again? My right hand is my picking hand, so I don't know what it's got anything to do with the fretboard.
i reckon its just the angle you are holding the pick.
maybe change its slope/angle thingy.
Quote by stephen_rettie
i talking about your left hand pushing bracing themselves for your downstroke but not the upstroke

I'm playing open strings.
Quote by yo-shiuan
i reckon its just the angle you are holding the pick.
maybe change its slope/angle thingy.

When I rotate my right hand around so that the tip of the pick faces my face/torso for downwards picking and when I rotate my right hand so that the tip of the pick faces my leg for upwards picking, the strings don't move as much, but I fear this isn't the proper solution as I can't pick as fast as I could by keeping the pick perpendicular with the face of the guitar/pick guard.
Maybe I can make it a bit more clear. When I downwards pick the 1st string (the thinnest) the string vibrates and holds it position. When I upwards pick the same string (1st), it doesn't hold it's position and vibrate when I downwards pick, instead it ends up almost next to the 2nd string.

I wanted to get this sorted out sooner or later otherwise I'll develop either a bad habit thrashing my strings on an upwards pick or a bad habit of only using downwards strokes.
I have i weard way of picking. i dont know if this well make sense but hear it goes. when you pick-up the guitar pick goes a little bit under the string giving it more stranth. there for making the string go to the next one. try keeping the pick even.