Depends on what kind of sound you're going for.
It's all personal preference.
Try both out and see which you prefer.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
I really can't tell the difference between the two woods when played, as with a lot of other people, unless they are played side to side of course, but I think mahogany would be suited better for a 7 string because it has better low end definition.
^ But then again so does basswood, i personally cant seem to tell the difference bwteeen the two woods in regards to 7's, my mahogany body sounds really full and thick when based around B, yet i've played UV7BK's and various other RG 7's which still sound as good.

But from my experience i have noticed that mahogany is seemingly built for active pickups, more than basswood really, but that is entirely a personal observation.
both woods are fairly well balanced, but mahogany has a more pronounced mid range, giving the illusion of a compressed sound, basswood is balanced through the full range... and as for my opinion, i'd go basswood, personal preference though.
I have walnut and maple in my 7 string. Bass guitar woods. I would expect this to be very similar to mahogany and maple.

It's really hard to say because ibanez 7 strings tend to be loaded with Dimarzios, while Schecter is EMGs, and Carvin is crappy carvin pickps.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MetalMilitia212
What do you want, shred or heavy riffing?

That's still not a statement that can be generalized.

I have EMG's in my Ibanez RG320 which has a maple top and basswood body, great shred guitar. My carvin has the walnut body and maple neck with fairly weak humbuckers, still a great shred guitar. Neither of them do really heavy riffs very well but they sing on the top end.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
That's still not a statement that can be generalized.

I have EMG's in my Ibanez RG320 which has a maple top and basswood body, great shred guitar. My carvin has the walnut body and maple neck with fairly weak humbuckers, still a great shred guitar. Neither of them do really heavy riffs very well but they sing on the top end.

Mahogany is for low end and it gives a deeper, fuller sound, while basswood is even all around with good definition.

Basswood is generally superior for shredding, while mahogany is great for low end work.
Dickless.
I'm not overly fond of the basswood guitars i've used, so i'd say mahogony out of the two. Walnut, Ash, Alder, Korina and Koa would also be some other good wood choices.
All about Ash for low tunings/7 strings.

A lot more clarity and definition. Its also more percussive and I like that
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by jm1681
All about Ash for low tunings/7 strings.

A lot more clarity and definition. Its also more percussive and I like that

yeah i had considered that but was worried it would end up sounding like a 6 string banjo.
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's really hard to say because ibanez 7 strings tend to be loaded with Dimarzios

That's not really true, the Korn and Vai signature models come with DiMarzios but the standard ones (RG7321, RG1527 and S7320) all come with Ibanez's own stock pups.

And anyway that's hardly a factor; pickups can be changed, body wood can't.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Mahogany is the standard for sustain but also bottom end as it's an extremely dense wood.

Basswood is similar but is essentially the cheaper version. Since most amps/pedals boards will have a compression/sustainer, the wood for sustain becomes almost trivial if you tweak your settings right, and you can save tons if you don't mind the basswood models with similar electronics etc.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's not really true, the Korn and Vai signature models come with DiMarzios but the standard ones (RG7321, RG1527 and S7320) all come with Ibanez's own stock pups.

And anyway that's hardly a factor; pickups can be changed, body wood can't.

Which are all dimarzio based pickups.

Not many people are going to change pickups from the standard sized 7 string pickups to say EMG's. Not many schecters come with the standard 7 string pickups either...I believe only the Damien does.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
For metal, (I'm assuming everything from Metallica to Cannibal corpse here because not quite specific enough) Mahogany for sure. Basswood is a carving wood, and very light, great wood for shredding because has a clean note impact all around. As of if you're playing a 7 mahogany is a much more efficient for lows generally, because basswood lacks in low end punch, not saying that it won't prodcuce them as well as mahogany, but it won't have the same type of impact that mahogany does. On another note, seeing as a lot of metal guys are thrashin around on stage, mahogany is a better choice than basswood, because basswood is a carving wood, and seeing as that, strap buttons and the such will strip the wood easily compared to mahogany, and let's face, it nobody looks cool with a cracked guitar on stage and the bar in your hand. But in the end, it just comes down to preferance. Mine being mahogany.
Quote by MESAexplorer
Which are all dimarzio based pickups.

DiMarzio based...that's like 'duncan designed'; means nothing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.