I think I'll probably buy this amp as my next (and first real) amp. But I'm a bit worried. I've seen it recommended a lot in here, but anyway.

First, Harmony Central.

I was shocked to see the ratings. Average of 6.5 for sound quality? Ugh. Some pretty good reviews, and some just bad reviews, but also some good reviews which trashed the amp more or less ("Stock, the amp is rubbish.").

Then, the Randall forums.

Quote: "Don't buy RG50TC. Why? First of all it has the worst clean channel I have ever heard. Oh sorry, it doesn't have any clean channel because it becomes crunch when You turn the clean level more then 10 o'clock... That means You can't play any clean sound at higher volumes!"

Also, another thread where someone got a loud POP from his amp every time he changed channels. Even Musicians Friend had a 2.5 star review of it (I thought they don't show bad reviews?).

Anyway, there's one selling used for 450e, but it's a very long way from me and I'm not sure if it can be shipped (would probably cost extra or something). If I'm getting it, I'll wait a bit longer until another one pops up (I've seen them go for about 400e). Don't want to use Ebay, and there aren't really any amps sold on the Finnish auction site Huuto.net.

Main thing is, is the Randall RG50TC really a good amp for metal?

I play mostly metal, so I need a clean sound (decent at least, can get some sort of a chorus from my Zoom G2.1 but nothing big) and good distortion that can get to metal-levels. Also have a Behringer EQ pedal (cheap, but works ok) that I can use.

Budget is probably around 500e, don't want to spend more.

If you want to suggest alternatives, try here . Lists amps sold on that site (kind of like Craigslist I think) under 600.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I would save up more and get a 5150 combo if you want a metal amp. The Randall can do it, but needs some help.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
I would save up more and get a 5150 combo if you want a metal amp. The Randall can do it, but needs some help.

The problem is, the only 5150's (or 6505's) I have seen have been stacks and they cost about 1600e or something. I have never seen a combo on sale on Muusikoiden.net. Or anywhere else for that matter (except maybe US ebay, but I don't really surf on ebay).

Edit: Also, I do have more money, but I don't want to use it on a guitar amp.

Edit2: Also, I was shocked to see the first Ashdown Fallen Angel on sale on that site - 650e. That's used, you know.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Last edited by Fama at Feb 1, 2008,
I'm not a fan of the stock RG50TC, at all. The clean channel is rubbish, and has very little volume before it starts to break up. The kindest adjectives I can use to describe the clean channel are sterile and muffled.

The distortion fairs a little better. There are two types, gain 1 and 2. If I remember correctly, gain 1 is meant for more modern rhythm stuff, and gain 2 is more of a lead tone, reminiscent of Vai etc. The latter was ok for single notes runs etc., but again the gain 1 sounded a little muffled. I was left unsatisfied by it.

It seems a little common round here, but if you want a decent, cheap metal amp, possibly buy a peavey valveking, and mod it to the hills. Will cost you the same post-modification as the RG50TC, and you'll probably be a lot more satisfied.

Always worth keeping an eye out for a 5150 combo though.
Quote by ultrablue
I'm not a fan of the stock RG50TC, at all. The clean channel is rubbish, and has very little volume before it starts to break up. The kindest adjectives I can use to describe the clean channel are sterile and muffled.

The distortion fairs a little better. There are two types, gain 1 and 2. If I remember correctly, gain 1 is meant for more modern rhythm stuff, and gain 2 is more of a lead tone, reminiscent of Vai etc. The latter was ok for single notes runs etc., but again the gain 1 sounded a little muffled. I was left unsatisfied by it.

It seems a little common round here, but if you want a decent, cheap metal amp, possibly buy a peavey valveking, and mod it to the hills. Will cost you the same post-modification as the RG50TC, and you'll probably be a lot more satisfied.

Always worth keeping an eye out for a 5150 combo though.

Just checked the site: 2x 5150 heads, 900e and 1000e. One 5150 combo (!), but he wants to trade to a Powerball (which costs about 1300e for the head + footswitch), or sell but since the Powerball is so expensive, the 5150 combo is probably gonna be 1000e+ too. There's also a Valve King head for 470e and a VK 112 AND a orange 112 (only sold together) for 600e. So the RG50TC would still be cheaper than a VK, not to mention the modding. Goddammit, I think I might have to get a Flextone instead (they sell for surprisingly little compared to any decent amp with tubes).
Quote by Lunchbox362
Any more first-hand experiences?
Quote by Lunchbox362
Im getting a new RG50TC next week.
I already have one, it sounded pretty good but it stopped working after a day (transformer problem methinks).

It could do with more treble, so a treble booster and possibly an overdrive pedal might be a good idea.

The new RG50TCs come with 3 12AX7's and a 12AT7 preamp tube, i think they put the AT7 in to try and tidy up the sound a bit.

I prefer Gain 1 over any other channels on this amp, Gain 2 is quite muddy especailly at low volumes. The 'Clean' channel can be used as a decent overdrive channel with the booster on.

Im thinking of getting a new speaker to try and get more treble out of it.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
will it be able to do modern metal at bedroom volume?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
yes, it has plenty of pre-amp gain.

I'd take my RG50TC with a Vintage 30, Tung Sol 12AX7s and JJ EL34s over a 5150 combo anyday. It was cheapr too. With everything on it new.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
alrite thanks, i think im set on gettin one soon.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
What about how many people are happy with the amp?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
What about how many people are happy with the amp?

huh?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I have the amp and I think the cleans are great. With the master volume ten, you dont really need to turn the pre-amp volume past 11 o clock....

what I dont like about the amp is the gain channel. it sounds like a fuzz pedal with all the knobs hardwired to 10. but I use a distortion pedal and so I get a great sound out of this amp. It does have a loud pop when changing channels, but I only use one channel so it isnt that bad. but when I use the clean boost it does pop.

I got mine on sale and I am happy with it.
So thus far we've had: "Great cleans, crap distortion" and "Rubbish cleans, but ok distortion" and "I like everything about it". This is getting pretty confusing. Also, can more people confirm the popping?
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Ashdown Fallen Angel. Try and get one of those. If you can't, the RG50TC is the next best thing in your price range.

The only Fallen Angel I've seen was about 650eur. Quite shocking, IMO. They go for what, 350-400£? So about 550eur tops, and used too. The RG50TC seems like the best thing for me, but so many people are saying it sucks (at least stock). And the loud popping really seems like a problem, because I want to change from clean to distortion.
Quote by Lunchbox362
I use both the RG50TC and RH50T, with no popping noises to speak of. The cleans are good. Change the tubes, and maybe the speaker, and it becomes a fantastic amp.

What people need to realise is this isn't a FDR, or even a FBJ. It's an amp designed for high gain metal sounds, so the clean channel gets put a bit to the side. At least it HAS a clean channel.

I'm so sick of hearing people with these 5150 or 6505 heads live, and instead of rolling back on the guitar volume and playing with a lighter touch, they just stomp on their Behringer/Danelectro/Ebay chorus pedals and thinking it gives them a good clean sound. What 90% of them are getting is just a distorted mess with a crappy chorus over the top of it. Thats probably why that guy thinks he had no cleans. He'd still be playing with his guitar cranked smashing the crap out of the strings, and being like "omg this is crap its a clean channel it should be clean"

We are musicians. Show some bloody creativity for once.

My point is, if you need amazing cleans, as well as high gain sounds with good tone, your not going to find that amp in your price range. The RG50TC gives you great dirty sounds, and more than passable clean sounds, with plenty of volume, and good reverb at an awesome price.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Thank you, Cofflecakes. That's the kind of posts I was looking for. I'll probably try to get the next RG50TC that pops up, and maybe change the tubes/speaker later on. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Quote by Lunchbox362