So I play guitar and decided to pick me up a bass. I found this 1984-87 Japanese Fender Precision Special for $175. I have two question.

1. What are those strings that are not wound called. I played a washburn bass with those strings and liked how they felt, but forgot to ask what they were called.
2. I have searched online to little avail, can anyone give me info on my bass. I has a Jazz pickup in the bridge and a Precision pickup in the neck position. Each pickup has an idividual volume and then a shared control which is either a tone or eq.
1. Flatwounds ma'dear

2. Can't really apart from any 80's Japanese bass is an awesome instruments and/or investment
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
3 strings... as in that was all it could hold, or that the other was broken? Yes, they're flatwounds, and Japanese Fenders from the 80s are worth FAR more than $175, pounce on that deal like mother****er.
i have an 85 or 86 japanese geddy lee jazz, and my bass teacher told me the 80s japanese instruments are really good, but didn't say why. can anyone tell me what makes them so good?
$175 is a freaking steal!
id jump on that deal in a heartbeat!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
the other was just missing, and I know it is worth more, but I don't know how much. I bought it already. I really like the way it plays. Are 80s japanese better then MIMs, and what makes them so great?
Last edited by end_citizen at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by end_citizen
the other was just missing, and I know it is worth more, but I don't know how much. I bought it already. I really like the way it plays. Are 80s japanese better then MIMs, and what makes them so great?

Yes, I would say they are better than MIM's, can you not see/hear what makes them so great? Also, pics would be nice
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Japanese are nearly as good as the American made ones. They are simply well made instruements. Though a lot of asian goods get knocked off, Japanese and some Korean built instruments are very good for the price.

I believe the 80s were the Japanese instruments golden era in quality, and are pretty highly valued.

The strings you had before were flatwounds. They give a more mellow tone. Although roundwounds may be harder on your fingers to begin with, give them a try. They have a lot more treble and sparkle.

The extra know is most liekly tone. You rarely get a 1 band EQ. I would get that bass set up professionally when you buy new strings for it, so that the neck etc can be corrected. Haing long periods with just 3 strings cannot be good for the neck.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^Yeah, the late seventies and into the eighties were ALL about the Japanese instruments. Look at the Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller jazz sigs. They're both still made in Japan to take it back to that 70s style they both had.