1970's Gibson Ripper. I Know What Most People Say About Gibson Basses, But Has Anybody Played Or Owned One. Just Looking For Some Comments
The Ripper and Grabber are ment to be amazing basses, if you can get hold of one, do it
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
The Ripper and Grabber are ment to be amazing basses, if you can get hold of one, do it

+3
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
the ripper, grabber and g3 are the best basses gibson ever produced. although they aren't fantastic by any stretch of the imagination and they are made entirely of maple so expect a lot of weight on your shoulder
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
For Gibson, they're decent, but a bit overpriced in their relative market. They're good, but I don't think I'd ever GAS for one.

And to the TS, isn't constantly using your shift key awkward? You must have a well muscled pinkie on each hand. Though it does have the novel effect of making all your posts seem like extended song titles.
Those proved that Gibson could make a real bass it they wanted to. Then production ceased.

EDIT: Yeah, I can't spell.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by Captain Insano
Those proved that Gibson could make a real bass it they wanted to. Then production seized.

Seized what? The throne? (ceased)
As people have said good by Gibson standard, probably their best but nothing to write home about.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
If you are looking to buy one, watch out for Japanese clones. I saw a guy on ebay try to pass one off as a ripper.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
Quote by anarkee
For Gibson, they're decent, but a bit overpriced in their relative market. They're good, but I don't think I'd ever GAS for one.

And to the TS, isn't constantly using your shift key awkward? You must have a well muscled pinkie on each hand. Though it does have the novel effect of making all your posts seem like extended song titles.

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LEAVE CAPS ON AND TYPE TOO LONG OF A MESSAGE. I GUESS IT'S SOME KIND OF LITTLE WEB OF AMAZING COMPUTER SKILLAGE OR SOMETHING. THAT'S WHY YOU MIGHT SEE ALL CAPITAL WORDS EXCEPT FOR i BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE USING CAPS AND THEN TRY AND USE PROPER GRAMMAR BUT THEN FAIL. BUT FOR SOME REASON SOME PEOPLE GET THROUGH THE WEB OF SKILLAGE. I MIGHT, AND THEN THIS POST WILL BE SO ANTICLIMACTIC AND SOMEWHAT IRRELEVANT, BUT IT WAS ALWAYS THAT WASN'T IT?

Very anticlimactic.
I own a G3, and recently almost bought a Ripper, but it was in awful condition. Like people have said, they aren't amazing basses by todays standards, but they have a very unique sound, and feel.

They can be rather awkward to play if sitting down, due to the very wide body (it is so wide to compensate for the thin body) but having the body that width actually lets it balance very well. I highly recommend you try it out before you buy it, because they are definitely not for everybody.
yes^ Krist Novoselic used a Ripper on nirvana's Nevermind and maybe In utero records. he used an ibanez black eagle on Bleach. i love both guitars . id love a Ripper