OK, I wasn't sure if this belongs to GG&A or this forum, but since it's connected with the recordings I'll post it here.

I was looking for a way to record my guitar, and then turn it into synth using some synthesizer software. Still, all the synths I've found only let me use some crappy use-your-mouse-pointer keyboards, which is useless for me. What would I need to turn my guitar signal into synth? Either directly, or recording it and then putting the recording through the synthesizer. Anyone know?
Last edited by zombiak at Feb 1, 2008,
The only somewhat easy way is to use a guitar-MIDI converter such as the Roland divided pickups, and run the MIDI signal to a source track for a VSTi.
Ok, so that's kind of a *hardware* solution. The problem is that I record my guitar using the mic. Can't I record my guitar using the mic, and then mess with the recording to make it synth, or at least synth-like? I just want to create some wicked psychedelic soundscapes a'la The Mars Volta, it doesn't need to be technically synth.
You cant use audio to trigger most VSTi, there has to be an actual MIDI signal telling it all its note on/off/duration/pitch/velocity info. You might be able to use some VST effects to make it sound somewhat like a synth, but it probably wont come out too great.
Last edited by MrPillow at Feb 1, 2008,
MIDI controls most synthesizers. A MIDI pickup is the answer for you.

If you just want to morph your guitar signal to sound synth-like... Well that's a vague issue, since synth-like is so broad.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
You could get some wicked effects with effects pedals alone, there isn't necessarily a need to delve into synthesizers and MIDI.

Also, you can get synthesizer pedals for your guitar that can shift the pitch, handle effects, and make it sound like any variety of instruments, including keyboard-style synthesizers.
Quote by HoldFastHope
You could get some wicked effects with effects pedals alone, there isn't necessarily a need to delve into synthesizers and MIDI.

Also, you can get synthesizer pedals for your guitar that can shift the pitch, handle effects, and make it sound like any variety of instruments, including keyboard-style synthesizers.

If I had cash I'd buy Line 6 FM4, it has all I want, but they are expensive here, and I'm sure I can do it much cheaper, especially that I'd use it only for home recordings...

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=x25Hj_eipxo

This is some kind of stuff I'd like to get. These guys are using a mic plugged to the Line 6 FM4, I thought that plugging in a guitar would give me more control over the sound, but that's what I want to get - trippy Pink Floyd/Mars Volta-like sounds
THat sound can be applied by running your guitar through any resonant, self oscillating filter. Sounds like a hipass to me.
Ok, so I have to find some good filters for that, no need to use a synth? Good to hear that.

Sooo, some advice about the filters? What are the best ones? I'll google it and search on my own, but maybe someone knows more about them
Most free filter VSTs will sound more or less the same. Just find one, put it in your FX chain, go crazy.