I'm going to study abroad next Fall in Japan, and I was wondering if buying a JEM would be cheaper over there than in the US. I imagine the USD is probably doing a lot worse than the Yen right now, but I thought that maybe the overall price of buying the guitar, considering the factory is right there, would be cheaper. Anyone have experience buying Ibanez guitars in Japan? Don't guitar factories usually have stores where you can buy cheaper guitars? :O
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
i was under the impression that the yen was the chinese currency... but i assume they would sell it at wholesale considering the factory is right there, and that japan is not really a rich country...

also to hijack the thread a little bit, what fenders currently available in the us are made in japan? because i always see japanese strats and teles, etc in used gear shops
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
China uses that "Yuan". Japan uses Yen.

And no, guitar factories don't usually have outlet shops. It really won't be much cheaper.
Quote by copet
I'm going to study abroad next Fall in Japan, and I was wondering if buying a JEM would be cheaper over there than in the US. I imagine the USD is probably doing a lot worse than the Yen right now, but I thought that maybe the overall price of buying the guitar, considering the factory is right there, would be cheaper. Anyone have experience buying Ibanez guitars in Japan? Don't guitar factories usually have stores where you can buy cheaper guitars? :O

I'm not sure whether it will be cheaper, but not only are you more likely to find a lot of high end Ibanez guitars in Japan, they also have J. Customs.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by latinosuperstud
i was under the impression that the yen was the chinese currency... but i assume they would sell it at wholesale considering the factory is right there, and that japan is not really a rich country...

also to hijack the thread a little bit, what fenders currently available in the us are made in japan? because i always see japanese strats and teles, etc in used gear shops

Japan, especially Tokyo has some of the highest standards of living in the world. Where did you get that it isn't a rich country, along with Western Europe and North America it is one of the richest countries in the world.
Manufactures that market in multiple countries ship in bulk, hence the price per guitar is not that much more than in Japan.

Quote by latinosuperstud

Japan has the second largest GDP as of 2008, making it the second richest country in the world.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
^maybe i got mixed up then...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
damn... I'd hope I could go to japan, buy a cheap caparison and then go back those guitars are &%"/"¤-ing expensive in sweden (along the lines of...3500$).
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
A simple overview of this question in regards to economics:

Ibanez manufactures a large number of guitars for the US. Since the US is the leading importer and thus compromises a majority of Ibanez' sales, it manufactures more guitars for export to the US then it does domestically. The more guitars it manufactures for export, the less the price per guitar.

Barring other expenses such as teriffs, etc: If Ibanez manufactures a single shipment of 20,000 guitars, and the cost of shipment to the US is $1,000, the price would increase per guitar by about 5 cents.

^ this is an extremely basic example of the whole process, but the idea should be clear.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer