no
28 37%
maybe
7 9%
huh whats a pick up :(
10 13%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 3
ok soo i own a epiphone les paul studio and im thinkin of swappin teh factory pickups out for new ones i have a £100 budget which should i get i play mainly metal and thrash.
i don't know what teh price would be for you, but i really like my dimebucker, i got it for $120 canadian, i put it in my Ibanez GIO
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
honestly a combo i really like would cost ya a little more than a hundred.. a Dimarzio X2N for the bridge and Dactivator for the neck..awesome out put and awesome tone..great for metal.
Quote by dom_is_god
maxwhat 15 watt ss amp was like £10 in a charity shop fixed it and well there you go thinkin about buyin a marshals 50w or a peavey

Then buy a new amp, no point even thinking about pickups until you get the amp sorted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Then buy a new amp, no point even thinking about pickups until you get the amp sorted.

+1.

Pickups are for tailoring the tone coming out of your amp.

If you're going to upgrade the amp, there's not really a point in getting new pickups yet.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i agree. Dont worry about pickups until you get a new amp, or your tone will still be crappy. Epi's actually have pretty decent pickups. I have one AND a nice amp and I am in no hurry to replace them. New amp, THEN pups imo
Quote by happytimeharry

We'll see how badass they truly are after their shins have been ravaged. Shin kicking is serious business.
thing is i can repalce the amp unit in it i know how to do the work for about £12 that would give me 50w with no need for a £120 pund amp and realy i can just go to school and borroow there peavey amp for like 3 weeks and no one willc are wheras i want new pickups cos i dont like the sound on schools amps not my home made one
Well, if you realy want to waste your money get Swineshead Venom for the bridge and either a Runaway or a Warthog for the neck. They're good pickups, just a bit of a waste of money in your situation.

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
^The 50 watt Marshall is NOT an upgrade, since it's probably an MG. It's crap.

And what kind of Peavey is your schools?

Trust us, the amp is much more important in your signal chain, as compared to pickups.

i dunno i think its a black widow i cant remember back on monday i can ask my m8 too see
Quote by dom_is_god
i dunno i think its a black widow i cant remember back on monday i can ask my m8 too see

If you don't know, then you don't need new pickups
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Really? A school with a decent amp...

Anyway, I still say you should invest in your own amp - a good one.

lol i picked them out school just bought em LOL im not special i just tried one out thought it was cool adn said tehy should buy one 2 weeks l8r a parcle arravives at my music lesson and 2 brand new valves kings were in teh box!
You don't seem to understand, do you? New pickups really only make a difference through a good amp.

They're not going to massively improve your sound, especially not through a crap solid state one. Pickups are for tweaking your tone - they are a small part of your tone.

Now, even if you use the schools, you aren't going to forever. So you should concentrate on getting you own amp - a nice one. That you DO like the sound of your guitar in. The amp is going to be around 70% of your tone.
what a buncha pickup nazis around here... jesus... dom... personally i dont think you could go wrong with emgs or also check out dimarzio they have some pretty hot pickups and passive too... a super three may work well in the bridge... I am in the same boat trying to decide on a bridge pickup for a fernandes revolver as the passive emg is not to my liking to be polite... the kirk hammet signature with 81s really sings though and zack wylde kirk hammet and kerry fuqing king \m/ cant be wrong can they? I have several pos amps and the pickups make a world of difference... on a 65 watt crate amp a strat needs twice the gain of the emg to get the same sustain... dont tell me its the amp making the difference... thats complete bull... if new pickups will make playing more fun than thats the road you should go... emg's could be your answer but dont forget to check out dimarzio or gibson or even the dimebucker...
Quote by quail
what a buncha pickup nazis around here... jesus... dom... personally i dont think you could go wrong with emgs or also check out dimarzio they have some pretty hot pickups and passive too... a super three may work well in the bridge... I am in the same boat trying to decide on a bridge pickup for a fernandes revolver as the passive emg is not to my liking to be polite... the kirk hammet signature with 81s really sings though and zack wylde kirk hammet and kerry fuqing king \m/ cant be wrong can they? I have several pos amps and the pickups make a world of difference... on a 65 watt crate amp a strat needs twice the gain of the emg to get the same sustain... dont tell me its the amp making the difference... thats complete bull... if new pickups will make playing more fun than thats the road you should go... emg's could be your answer but dont forget to check out dimarzio or gibson or even the dimebucker...

zakk wylde, kirk hammet and kerry king have decent amps though

you really didnt read the thread did you

and of course a strat needs more gain than an EMG. but a stock humbucker wont be far off a **** hot emg through a crap amp

steven seagul's name isnt orange because it matches his avatar
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by quail

I think the apocalypse just happened. I have seen UGs stupidest post...

BTW, upgrade your amp n00b...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
i read every bit of the thread... and have done it myself... and can hear very audible differences btwn different types of pickups... i have a hagstrom with their custom 58s or w.e and the bridge pickup is a deep moody pickup but its reallllll hot and a squealie monster... on the other hand a passive emg has significantly less output but is much brighter and distorts much much earlier... all through a 200 dollar crate amp... your skill is in your fingers not your wallet.... eric clapton could make a squier sound better than most people can do with any fender... so if dom sparks some added interest in swapping some pickups good for him... he WILL notice a difference ... and who are any of you to tell him not to... he didnt ask about amps he asked about pickups... leave him and his amp alone and let him enjoy his playing not tell him hell never sound good unless he goes out right now and buys an expensive tube amp.... put your nose away and enjoy the hobby
Quote by quail
i read every bit of the thread... and have done it myself... and can hear very audible differences btwn different types of pickups... i have a hagstrom with their custom 58s or w.e and the bridge pickup is a deep moody pickup but its reallllll hot and a squealie monster... on the other hand a passive emg has significantly less output but is much brighter and distorts much much earlier... all through a 200 dollar crate amp... your skill is in your fingers not your wallet.... eric clapton could make a squier sound better than most people can do with any fender... so if dom sparks some added interest in swapping some pickups good for him... he WILL notice a difference ... and who are any of you to tell him not to... he didnt ask about amps he asked about pickups... leave him and his amp alone and let him enjoy his playing not tell him hell never sound good unless he goes out right now and buys an expensive tube amp.... put your nose away and enjoy the hobby

Aaaand here's the runner up I suggest you stop posting until you know what the **** you're talking about.

Seriously, an amp is a much bigger part of your tone than pickups, so obviously a new amp is going to make more of a difference than new pickups.
Quote by quail

dude, you spelled your username with a 'q' and a 'u' instead of an 'f'

sure, pups sound different. i agree no end

BUT

TS WILL GET BETTER TONE FOR WHAT TS WANTS BY BUYING A NEW AMP BEFORE NEW PUPS
Aaaand he gave his budget... and a nice amp doesnt exactly fit that... along with the nicer peavey he gets to play.... just my 2 cents because youre a buncha gear snobs doesnt mean he wont benefit from swapping a pickup... all i did was defend it from my own experience...afterall this thread IS titled what pickups... not rant about my amp
Quote by which ones pink
Aaaand here's the runner up I suggest you stop posting until you know what the **** you're talking about.

Seriously, an amp is a much bigger part of your tone than pickups, so obviously a new amp is going to make more of a difference than new pickups.

+ Infinity^Infinity...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
he asked a question and i told him what he wanted to hear... he didnt ask if i should swap an amp before pickups he already decided the pickups are what he wants... so lets help him with the pickups ... that was the point of the thread
Quote by dom_is_god
well so far ive worked out u guys think i need a new amp so lets get on to my pickups shall we

dom... you cant go wrong with emg's for metal and i also like dimarzio... fwiw
Quote by quail
he asked a question and i told him what he wanted to hear... he didnt ask if i should swap an amp before pickups he already decided the pickups are what he wants... so lets help him with the pickups ... that was the point of the thread

Grammar is your best friend, so use it...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by steven seagull
Well, if you realy want to waste your money get Swineshead Venom for the bridge and either a Runaway or a Warthog for the neck. They're good pickups, just a bit of a waste of money in your situation.

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if he definately doesnt want a new amp now, save the cash till you do.

IF (thats an IF) you had a decent amp, youre more than likely going to be relying on the bridge pup alone.

swineshead=£50

end of, really
wtf grammar you want me to use periods and ****.... get a life
Quote by quail

join my group then, link in profile
Quote by quail

Honestly, I am just going to give a dignified response and end this argument right here.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
hah.. man... im starting to wonder about you brits... are you all so ignorant and uptight about these things.... why cant you just answer the mans q
he asked about pup's i responded and got bashed... he was obviously tired of being told he needs a new amp... you guys ruined my day hah
Page 1 of 3