Why do some guitars have pretty thick tops? I played a Tacoma DM-14 yesterday and it just seemed dead, presumably because the top looked really thick. It just didn't feel right, the guitar didn't vibrate right. Is it cheaper to make this way? This was a guitar that normally sells for over $1,000 so I'm surprised that I didn't like it.
so you base what guitar you like on price...
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Thicker top=more wood=more expensive.

Tacoma guitars are normally awesome, I'm surprised you didn't like it. I don't think that I've played one that I wouldn't buy. A thicker top (and rest of the woods, too) usually means better sustain. Another guitar company that uses thicker woods is Guild, and you can tell, cause they weigh a ton.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I have a Tacoma and it is the most wonderful guitar I've played. I know what you're referring to, in terms of the thick top, but I think the one you played may have just been a dud. Either that, or you are used to the bigger boom that many Dreadnought guitars have. Tacoma's are not particularly loud instruments, but sound great still.

Edit: In terms of tonal quality, thick tops can balance out the tone on a guitar (which I love best about my Tacoma), but when overdone, it prevents the top from vibrating to it's full potential making the sound very bland and quiet. Many lower quality guitars use thick tops, because it also makes them more durable.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by Burning Star 4
so you base what guitar you like on price...

Um, yeah, that's what I meant... that's why my favorite guitar right now is my Alvarez PD-80S that I paid about $75 for. I like it so much better than the new Ibanez artwood AW-800ECENT that I just got that I'm sending that one back.
Quote by GC Shred Off
I know what you're referring to, in terms of the thick top, but I think the one you played may have just been a dud.

I don't know, but apparently other people didn't like it either... the music shop owner offered to sell it to me for wholesale cost, which was $732.50, because it has been sitting on the shelf forever and he wanted to move it. Normal price is $1,065 and MSRP was nearly $1,400. Just didn't feel or sound right for some reason.
Quote by roamingbard13
Another guitar company that uses thicker woods is Guild, and you can tell, cause they weigh a ton.

Strange that you say that, because apparently all the new American-made Guild guitars are made in the Tacoma factory. Fender bought them both and moved the Guild processes there. But, speaking of which, this same shop has a Fender acoustic that I played about a month ago, and looking back, I noticed the same thing about it, thicker top, and it was very quiet, I couldn't play it softly. I like my guitars to sound sweet and full when playing softly, then scream when I bang the hell out of it. These guitars were extremely quiet and not full at all when playing softly, then playing with force just sounded like I was playing another guitar with a pretty easy effort. I just don't like that, it feels very restrained, I feel like making music is a chore. I want to strum a chord softly and have it ring and make me say "oooh, that's sweet". These new thick topped guitars just don't do that. I don't know if they break in eventually or if more expensive guitars really aren't supposed to do that or what. I've played expensive Taylors and they didn't do this so I wouldn't think that this is supposed to be normal for high end guitars. Playing softly just shouldn't sound muffled in my opinion.
Also, on the Guild's, one of the best guitars I've ever heard had an extremely THIN top, and it was a Guild. It was an old one made in the early 80's. They made it TOO thin... the top is warping bad due to the strain of the strings. But, it sounds crazy good right now.
Recommended threads
Tacoma DM14
schecter30
Last post:
by schecter30
Yamaha G225
sofubar
Last post:
by SadisticBrandon