Hi guys,

I am planning to buy my first guitar. I was dreaming for Razorback V 255 Explosion, saving money, working hard, and finally I might buy it from thomann.de for around 1K euros. Since I cannot work now (got lectures, exams) I can afford max 400-500 euros more on Amp and some effects. I am not good guitar player, I would say beginner, but got ambitions and passion :-) so, please, understand me.
So, I like heavy sound : like Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Children of Bodon, Manowar, Iced Earth etc. so thrash/speed metal, power metal styles, also making some original and creative moves with sound...but thats later, when I ll get more experience So, I was thinking about Vox Tonelab SE or LE and .... just headphones for now and maybe later in summer, get some cheap amp for 200 euros. Is it a good idea?
Any better solutions? Any good suggestions for good amp + good effects in that price range. I would appreciate any helpful comments. Thanks guys.
Last edited by EARNEST at Feb 1, 2008,
Rule of thumb: Spend 50/50 on guitar and amp. It's a bad idea (IMO) to get a 1000 euro guitar, 300 euro modelling pedal and a 200 euro amp. Remember, the amp probably makes up for more than half of your tone, so you'd rather want a great amp and a good guitar than great guitar and a good amp.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I always recommend buying a decent amp first. You'll get a nice guitar for about 500 to 600 bucks as well, so use the rest to buy your amp or pedal - unless you're going to play in a band with a good PA, then I would buy the guitar.
Also, I would not mind to buy some used pedal (good one and good quality), but EU countries please.
Quote by EARNEST
Also, I would not mind to buy some used pedal (good one and good quality), but EU countries please.

If you would get a good amp, you wouldn't need a pedal. Why do you want to buy a pedal so much? What do you need it for? Just get a good amp and be done with it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
If you would get a good amp, you wouldn't need a pedal. Why do you want to buy a pedal so much? What do you need it for? Just get a good amp and be done with it.

Uhm.... and what about effects? Distortion, overdrive etc.... ?
Like he said.. get a good amp and you don't need a distortion or overdrive pedal..

Effects are not an essential part of a guitar setup at all IMO. There are millions of sound you can get from a guitar and amp alone that would take you 3 lifetimes to discover before you even need to start thinking about effects to get new different sounds.

I've been playing for over 10 years and have never really needed effects for anything. I'm always plugged straight into my amp. Hiding behind effects to make you sound good is a VERY bad way to start playing guitar since you're only a beginner.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Hiding behind effects to make you sound good is a VERY bad way to start playing guitar since you're only a beginner.

Very good words, man!!!! Thanks a lot!!! Thanks all!
I am saving cash for it, dude. And once it is bought, not gonna get new one like for 5 years Guys, Valveking 112, is it good for this guitar and my style of music?
a valveking is tube so it will fit your style nicely. It will also bring out the raging sound of the emgs in the dean
Thanks guys, some more suggestions for tube amp for 400-500 euros?
Guys, come on I really need your help. Suggest any good amp for this price? Or should i forget about tube amp and get SS one? Please, I need your helpful suggestions Cannot choose... Peavey 112 ( or maybe 212), Vox AD50VT112, AD30VT, Marshall AVT50X, MARSHALL MG50DFX, ROLAND CUBE30X or something else? I would appreciate clear opinion, not because u don't like the manufacturer or design etc... I need good sound Thanks
Dude... ok umm, you probably should spend alot of your hard earned money on the amp first... its gonna make up more of your tone. If you are a beginner, you probably should not be playin a razorback either... Here is the deal. You don't really need alot of EFX for the music your going to be playing (maybe a wah and a booster, but thats it) if you buy a great amp. You are probably gonna want to look into a used 5150, or a used ENGL. it will cost you a little more, but honestly, your not gonna need the razorback as a starting guitar, the Floyds are a pain, and they can destroy a beginner's mind... and the body shape may be harder to learn on. I suggest an SG junior or perhaps a Schecter Hellraiser (NO FR).
Thanks, but still want to get razorback btw, found Marshall Avt 150H half stack second hand for 400 euros. Is it good deal?
^ Not really, AVTs are poor
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by EARNEST
Thanks, but still want to get razorback btw, found Marshall Avt 150H half stack second hand for 400 euros. Is it good deal?

no thats a garbage deal, b/c AVTs are crap. Try finding a used 5150 or a used ENGL screamer
Thanks,. still searching for 5150 or ENGL, but difficult to find some good used amps on small island as Malta :-(
What I found is Marshall AVTs, but you guys saying they ain't good. Found Laney LC30II 1yr old for 640 euros, but that's is quite outside by bidget, maybe I ll try to negotiate if this amp is good. Also found CARVIN ALL TUBE AMP NOMAD (probably 112 model), dunno the price yet tho, is this one good?
Also, found used Marshall VS232 2x12 (dunno price yet) and Marshall JCM900 2 x 12 combo Valve amp 100 watts going for 560 euros.

So guys, what can you ssay about those amps? Thanks
Out of all those you found the JCM900 is the best by far, especially for metal.

They're also kind of hard to get by in Europe sometimes but the Randall RG50TC is good, if everything else fails the Peavy Valveking is your best bet, decent cleans and kind of muddy distortion but it can clear up alot with a better speaker and decent equalization.
So guys, should i get valveking 112? Or should i wait for Bugera 6162 combo?
wait for the bugera, the valveking combos are crap.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Why 50/50 in guitar/amp?? If he only wants to practice at home, a 5w tube amp sound great. Epiphone valvejunior + 2x12" cabinet + Bad Monkey overdrive + Ds1 distorsion + DD3 Delay. And he is rdy to rox.
ordered 6262-212 bugera amp from thomann.

Order number:
Order date: 25.02.2008
Shipping date: ASAP
Customer number:
Order value: 639.00 EUR
Sales person: Kai Dietrich
Payment method: Visa Card
Shipping method: Postal Service

Damn it... I called them and asked if they have it in stocks, the girl said they do have them.... so why ASAP?