I'm looking to upgrade to a new amp from my 100WATT MG Series Marshall( I've now learned why everyone hates that amp), and I was wondering what is everyone's opinion on Orange amps? What kind of tones can you get out of them? Are they versatile? Lots of great distortion? Also, I was thinking of upgrading my pickups in my guitar, but people said the marshall wouldn't pickup much of a difference in sound, so I was wondering if an orange amp would do the trick. Gimmie all the info you guys got!

Oh and some bands I like to play songs by are:
Motley Crue
Neil Young (I mostly play Neil Young)
Aerosmith
Velvet Revolver
Cheap Trick
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
Quote by The red Strat.
depends what orange you're talking about ?

I'm not quite sure actually lol, what ones do you know of?

EDIT: What about the ones close to the same cost range of a 100WAT MG series marshall?
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Last edited by slashVR at Feb 1, 2008,
The Tiny Terror is probably the only one in your price range. It's not an incredibly versatile amp, but it's classic rock tones are fantastic.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by slashVR
I'm not quite sure actually lol, what ones do you know of?

EDIT: What about the ones close to the same cost range of a 100WAT MG series marshall?

i know of the AD30, rocker 30, rockerverb, thunderverb, tiny terror... i'd check orange's site first and look at the prices a bit. some are quite different.
Do you have personal info on those amps? I checked the site and was looking at all of them.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
i have the tiny terror, its a good sounding little amp. i use a metal muff to get a metal sound, but it can do classic rock very good.
Member #2 of the Mike Patton Worshippers club p.m. lalalama 2 to join

listen to metal.
i need some info then first

do you need good cleans ? how much gain do you need exactly ?
what's your budget ? what will you use the amp for 'eg. how much wattage ? ) ? etc.
Quote by slashVR
Do you have personal info on those amps? I checked the site and was looking at all of them.

At last, you did some research on the amps

They're terrifyingly amazing amps, IMO, especially the Rocker series, although the AD and Tiny Terrors are great also.

Bear in mind 30W of an Orange Rocker 30 will sound as loud, if not even louder, than your Marshall MG...And you probably won't need a 'metal' pedal to get those tones you want, since the OD is nothing short of exceptional.
Quote by The red Strat.
i need some info then first

do you need good cleans ? how much gain do you need exactly ?
what's your budget ? what will you use the amp for 'eg. how much wattage ? ) ? etc.

Alright.
-Decent cleans would be great, but I wouldn't die if they weren't perfect.
-I like to have the option of lots of gain, but the most gain I'll probably use is music like Motley Crue, that sort of hard rock/glam sound.
-My budget is around $700.
- I'd be using the amp for both practicing at home and also gigging in club sized venues.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Quote by slashVR
Alright.
-I like to have the option of lots of gain, but the most gain I'll probably use is music like Motley Crue, that sort of hard rock/glam sound.
- I'd be using the amp for both practicing at home and also gigging in club sized venues.

oh... with that budget, you're looking at the Tiny Terror. i don't know that band (don't kill me if they're famous) but i think the TT should do hard rock fine.
15 watt for gigging could be enough, but it will have break up. that's fine (very good infact) in you don't need cleans at gigging volumes though.

i'd take a look at the Traynor YCV40 and 50. i'm not usre if they have enough gain, but i heard they have great cleans and a good Marshally (or Orange-y, it's similar) overdrive.
i don't speak form experience on those amps though. PM slatsmania, he know about them.
Quote by The red Strat.
oh... with that budget, you're looking at the Tiny Terror. i don't know that band (don't kill me if they're famous) but i think the TT should do hard rock fine.
15 watt for gigging could be enough, but it will have break up. that's fine (very good infact) in you don't need cleans at gigging volumes though.

i'd take a look at the Traynor YCV40 and 50. i'm not usre if they have enough gain, but i heard they have great cleans and a good Marshally (or Orange-y, it's similar) overdrive.
i don't speak form experience on those amps though. PM slatsmania, he know about them.

Alright thanks alot, I really appreciate all the help!
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
At $700 you're going to have a rough time getting a cab to go along with that Tiny Terror.

Honestly, if I were you I'd look into something along the lines of a Peavey Valveking, Classic 30, Crate Palomino etc.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by gald
At $700 you're going to have a rough time getting a cab to go along with that Tiny Terror.

Honestly, if I were you I'd look into something along the lines of a Peavey Valveking, Classic 30, Crate Palomino etc.

Ew, gross!
Completely off topic from orange amps. But what do you guys think of Fender tube amps? lol
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
i'd take a look at the Traynor YCV40 and 50. i'm not usre if they have enough gain

The YCV50 has ridiculous amounts of gain.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^^ Great cleans, poor overdrive on most new models. There are a few that stand out. The Bassmans etc. But otherwise, they have poor OD unless you crank them to unbelievably high volumes. Great cleans though, as I say.
Quote by slashVR
Completely off topic from orange amps. But what do you guys think of Fender tube amps? lol

arguably the best brand for cleans, but their built-in OD is gross.
you need lots of gain, so Fender is one of the worst brands for you
Quote by Don_Humpador
Ew, gross!

My other guitarist's Rocker 30 really doesn't sound that much better then my VK, especially when you consider the extra $1000 he dropped.

-1 on the valve king ^

Why? The amp has great cleans and I can get everything from a nice crunch and high-gain leads without a pedal if I want.

For $450 (got the 212 used) the amp is outstanding. When the tech who re-baised for me this week called to let me know it was ready for pickup he said he'd never got a chance to play one before and was really impressed with it'd sound for being a 'budget' tube amp. That coming from a guy who works on high-end and boutique stuff most of the day.

Anyways, don't just **** on something without some constructive input, the VK is a great amp fo someone with a $700 budget. I wouldn't reccomend $550 on the TT for what is more or less a one-trick pony (don't get me wrong, it does what it does amazingly well) with no effects loop plus another $300~ on a cab when for the same price you could pick up a VK, Classic 30 or Palomino.
Quote by slashVR
Alright.

Realistically, you're going to need more money to get everything you want in an Orange amp. The Tiny Terrors are awesome sounding amps, but will likely disappoint you regarding cleans, esp at stage volume. Tone-wise, the TTs really are incredible, & should do Motley Crue easily without pedals. The quality of tone for the money is hard to beat w/ a TT, but if you really need decent cleans, you'd have to double your budget to stay w/ Orange. The Oranges just sound better & better as you move up the line, BTW.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
For $450, it's pretty good. But I doubt your VK is anywhere near the sound of a RK30. Sorry. I refuse to believe it.
Quote by Don_Humpador
For $450, it's pretty good. But I doubt your VK is anywhere near the sound of a RK30. Sorry. I refuse to believe it.

+1
There's a reason the Oranges cost twice as much or more. They articulate very well, better than most, & just have a real rich sweetness to their tone.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by Don_Humpador

You don't have to, pesonally I don't care what you think or believe. I just don't want you to **** all over a good amp that would do what the OP's looking for without breaking his budget.

If you read his criteria, a TT is never going to cut it and any other Orange (barring finding a great used deal) is going to blow his budget out of the water so I offered up three other options that will do what he needs with no issues.

+1
There's a reason the Oranges cost twice as much or more. They articulate very well, better than most, & just have a real rich sweetness to their tone.

There's also a reason people think MG's are good amps

I'm not saying Orange amps aren't cream-my-pants awesome, because they are. But you're paying for a brand name as well as a quality amp.
Quote by gald
You don't have to, pesonally I don't care what you think or believe. I just don't want you to **** all over a good amp that would do what the OP's looking for without breaking his budget.

If you read his criteria, a TT is never going to cut it and any other Orange (barring finding a great used deal) is going to blow his budget out of the water so I offered up three other options that will do what he needs with no issues.

I'm not saying Orange amps aren't cream-my-pants awesome, because they are. But you're paying for a brand name as well as a quality amp.

When you get into amps that cost in the $1400 US range & higher, brand names have very little to do with it. Any company making amps at that level knows they must deliver a superior product to remain competitive, because there're so many great amps available at those prices. Marshall amps in that range fall far short of most others because they're relying on their name alone, & are delivering a relatively inferior product (even their top of the line stuff is blown away by dozens of other manufacturers at the same price levels). Marshall delivers an inferior product at a ridiculously high price for what it is (esp MG), & only can do this by exploiting the Marshall name. I don't really see that w/ Orange, but that's just my opinion.

BTW-Your suggestions to the TS are good ones, though, if he MUST adhere to the stated budget.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

I don't really see that w/ Orange, but that's just my opinion.

Crush series.
Quote by gald
Crush series.

OK-touche
You win on that one. I forgot about those!
I've only played the good Oranges!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

The only Orange in your price range is the Tiny Terror, which won't be very clean at stage volumes. Also, the TT (as well as most Oranges) are very picky about which ODs and fuzzes you can use with them.

As for Fenders -- any real Fender will not have an OD channel, and thus, you would have to crank it to obscene (almost deadly) levels to get any sound that could be considered overdrive.

My suggestion for you would be a Traynor YCV40/20 (and put KT77's in), a Traynor YCV50Blue (which is very Brit sounding), or a used Mesa Mark III/5:25.
Quote by riffhog
OK-touche
You win on that one. I forgot about those!
I've only played the good Oranges!

Yeah I've only heard one Crush and it sounded like poop.

BTW-Your suggestions to the TS are good ones, though, if he MUST adhere to the stated budget.

Missed this the first time. That's why they call it a budget!

If I didn't have to stick to mine I'd be playing a JCM800 or Rocker 30 right now instead of my VK :P
The suggestion of the valveking, classic etc are good, but im not sure if they will nail the motley tone. The guitarist (mick mars isnt it?) uses JCM800s (maybe jcm900s nowadays) which are british toned, whereas the valveking and especially the classic are much more american toned with their OD.

Bar that though and the classic IMO is still a good suggestion, crank it high, turn the gain up and you can probably get hard rock sorta tones on its own, put a nice OD in front and it'll scream.
Quote by gald

Considering the TS only wanted an opinion, and not necessarily a suggestion, I posted my opinion on Orange amps and their capabilities. Also TS failed to mention the budget by the time I had posted, I had no idea whether or not he was able to afford something like a RK30. Anyway, a TT would be able to do 5/7 of the bands he suggested, and with a cheap OD pedal like the Bad Monkey he'd do even more. Anyway, I'd go so far as to say the TT has almost as much gain as the VK. Useable gain, anyway. The VK tends to be a little bit, er, - crushing - as you turn it up. I don't doubt for a second that $450 for a 2x12 VK is a bargain, but if he has a little extra funds, I think there are better options. You mentioned two yourself - the Classic 30 and Palomino. Both, with that Bad Monkey, will get the tones he wants. Both offer the wattage and both are available for the same amount, if not less, than a VK. And are subsequently better value. I just think that perhaps a better option would've been a Traynor YCV40/50 like red strat says, or even a used JCM800 combo, which I've seen go for $650 at times over there.

'For practising at home and gigging in club-sized venues'. I think a TT would've been fine to do that. If it was a particularly large club, then yes, he would have to use a PA system, a place of that size would, on assumption, have one.

Also, away from the topic slightly, what's the point in arguing you're paying more for a brand like Orange? Of course you are. There's a mark up on any amp you buy from a large company...

Quote by Hakanku
The suggestion of the valveking, classic etc are good, but im not sure if they will nail the motley tone. The guitarist (mick mars isnt it?) uses JCM800s (maybe jcm900s nowadays) which are british toned, whereas the valveking and especially the classic are much more american toned with their OD.

Bar that though and the classic IMO is still a good suggestion, crank it high, turn the gain up and you can probably get hard rock sorta tones on its own, put a nice OD in front and it'll scream.

I think the Classic would be the better choice too. Once in awhile I wish I had listened to Slats and went with the Classic over my VK. Then I remember I got mine used and saved $300 that I've been able to re-invest in pedal and I'm happy again

I suggest the VK though because he mentioned wanting the option of higher gain which the it offers without needing an OD. But you can get an decent OD for less then $100.
Quote by gald

Missed this the first time. That's why they call it a budget!

If I didn't have to stick to mine I'd be playing a JCM800 or Rocker 30 right now instead of my VK :P

Budgets can almost always be modified if the right deal comes along! Also, don't forget financing, the American way. That's how I got my first Les Paul & Marshall half-stack years ago. Also a great way for young people to build credit.
Gear up now, pay later!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard