hi, i am putting some irongear pickups into a rally les paul. i have just started on the neck pickup. the old neck pickup has only 2 wires coming from it, black and white. the new irongear pickup has three. a black a red and one thick black one.

i have made a note of where the old pickups wires went but not sure wha tthe sorresponding colour is on the new pickup or what to do with the thick black wire.

the iron gear wire diagram on the box says red is positive, black is negative but doesn't specify about the thick black. is it earth or something?

please help
Last edited by Sepulturick at Feb 1, 2008,
yes, the thick black should be the ground, or earth
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
negative means earth

if you can find a white and green one, that'd make more sense, but pics would help also

^ generally, on a 4 conductor pup, black is signal, green/bare is earth, and red and white are for coil splitting
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
negative means earth

if you can find a white and green one, that'd make more sense, but pics would help also

^ generally, on a 4 conductor pup, black is signal, green/bare is earth, and red and white are for coil splitting

the guy at irongear pickups taped the white and green together as i told him i am not using any coil tap facility.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_017.htm this is a link of the wiring diagram i have. i am currently fitting the rolling mill
from that diagram, red is signal and both the black wires look like earths (grounds)
things are either complicated or simplified by the fact that the guitar has been wired using white plastc box type connecor things. is it just a case of me finding out whether the white and black wires on my old pickup are + or - ?

is black also earth on all pickups? what is white on pickups usually and is this always the case?
Last edited by Sepulturick at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by Sepulturick
things are either complicated or simplified by the fact that the guitar has been wired using white plastc box type connecor things. is it just a case of me finding out whether the white and black wires on my old pickup are + or - ?

is black also earth on all pickups? what is white on pickups usually and is this always the case?

wtf?!?

no. pickups can be wired different i.e. ibanez/dimarzio i think. and irongear by the looks

look at the diagrams, the triangular arangement of parallel horizontal lines means earth. i.e. the ring of the jack, usually via the back of a pot