This may be a dumb question, but for modeling amps like the vox, roland, line 6, can you add an overdrive pedal to boost distortion of the various amp models, or can you really only run through an OD pedal on a clean channel? I know the various amp models already have varying amounts of distortion dialed into them to get the sound they are looking for. On my basic amp I just run the pedal through the clean channel.

Conversely if you think an amp model has too much distortion dialed into a channel, can you generally dial it down? Just not how sure these things work.
From my experience you can only run through clean

That was just on a Marshall MG tho
Yeah, run it throught whatever clean channel you have.

It'll still sound better if you play it through a tube amp though.
generally, modelling amps dont take pedals too well, and an OD certainly wont boost the distortion like it will on a valve amp. you'll prolly have more gain, but feedback and muddiness too.

look for a 'gain' knob to dial dist. down

best bet is a seperate distortion pedal for the clean channel.....or a good amp
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i have a line 6 spider 3 and when i tried a boss ds 2 through it, it make hardly any difference, even through a clean channel
Quote by rocabilly
From my experience you can only run through clean

That was just on a Marshall MG tho

same goes for the roland cube. i always have it on clean cus it just adds more bass on the "metal" setting.

Quote by simking
i have a line 6 spider 3 and when i tried a boss ds 2 through it, it make hardly any difference, even through a clean channel

that's cus its a spider 3
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

You can run any kind of pedal to any channel on the amp. Whether or not it actually sounds good is a whole different story.

Generally, you can't just add an overdrive pedal or boost pedal through a modeling amp and expect it to behave like a tube amp. The amp will work fine, but it just won't sound very good.
There's no way to dial down the gain on the amp model with a pedal either, there should be controls on the amp for that very purpose.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
It's best to go all tube when you use multifx pedals. I tried to use my digitech rp250 on my vox and unless it's on clean, it would just sound too distorted and muddy. It only sounded ok on clean though. I used an epiphone valve jr which is all tube and a little overdrive and everything just sounded way better. Competitive to a lot of more expensive amps. Works on my mesa pretty well but I still use clean for it. It's just hard to configure pedals if your amp is already on some kind of gain because you would have to dial down the gain drastically on either the amp or the pedal. Nowadays I just use my built in drive from my amp and won't use my pedal unless I need specific FX.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
I used a Bad Monkey to boost my AD15VT's AC15 and AC30 models from time to time. It was...alright, I guess. Better tones were to be had by cranking the modeled amp's volume, cranking a tube amp, or boosting a tube amp.
I have boosted the "metal" channel on my line6 with my digitech rp80 before, sounded good compared to what you usually get from the amp. But It took me about 3 hours of non stop tweakage to get it at that.