Poll: Should I buy this GT-3 thingy for $200?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I buy this GT-3 thingy for $200?
Yes!!!
1 10%
NOOO!!!
9 90%
Voters: 10.
A friend of mine offeres to sell me his used BOSS GT-3 for $200. I never used pedals before, just plug my guitar to the amp and play. Really do need some suggestion here, what do you think?
They are getting a bit rare but $200 is a bit steep imo. Do you really need/want it?
What do you need? Most multi-effects take away your tone, and it would be a lot better if you spent $200 on a single pedal if you care about tone.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Get a Gt-8. Much better IMO. I'm selling one if your interested the link is in my sig.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
wait a couple of months, you can get a GT8 for that...or if you cant wait, a GT6 will come in that price
Quote by Horlicks
What's your amp?

I currently have 2, both are small amps,... a Roland Microcube with COSM so I do understand basically what the effects do and a Yamaha F-20 30W and to me although at first I like the multitude of sounds I get from the Microcube, somehow the tone from the Yamaha amp (almost an unknown solid state I reckon?) sounds fuller and ways more true to my ear...

Another friend of mine who's a professional guitarist suggests I get this one though (for $200) so that I can gig with him and learn new techinques (yeah, how to 'handle' that pedal thingy while you're playing and stuff...), but he dedicates so much time practicing and making music usually he can't tell whether it's a good deal or not and pay premiums to get what he needs anyway.

I've been saving up money for a RG1570 and if I get this one now it's gonna be another couple of months, kinda hard to decide...
All the GT series is rubbish imo, i had a 8 and it was terrible. Sounded horrible loud, needed 4 cables to sound half decent. Its biggest flaw which made me chuck its pos ass was when playing live. If you accidently hit one of the small lightup buttons, the patch change footswitches dont work unit you hit EXIT. You look pretty stupid when it all goes wrong.

Recording; ok
Live; ****ing useless
I bought my GT-8 used for $225. It's a great unit. You can use analog pedals in the loop for all your overdrive/distortion sounds if you don't like the digital distortion. $200 for the GT-3 is way too much.
Quote by nghienviec
I currently have 2, both are small amps,... a Roland Microcube with COSM so I do understand basically what the effects do and a Yamaha F-20 30W and to me although at first I like the multitude of sounds I get from the Microcube, somehow the tone from the Yamaha amp (almost an unknown solid state I reckon?) sounds fuller and ways more true to my ear...

Another friend of mine who's a professional guitarist suggests I get this one though (for $200) so that I can gig with him and learn new techinques (yeah, how to 'handle' that pedal thingy while you're playing and stuff...), but he dedicates so much time practicing and making music usually he can't tell whether it's a good deal or not and pay premiums to get what he needs anyway.

I've been saving up money for a RG1570 and if I get this one now it's gonna be another couple of months, kinda hard to decide...

Wel considering you already have decent effects, maybe consider saving up for a new guitar and amp? Because there is no way you could gig with any of those amps really.
He dont sound like a friend to me. $200 for that outdated piece of crap.

Get a cube 60 and save for the rg aswell. Tell your "friend" to go jump
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Quote by JWBlack
He dont sound like a friend to me. $200 for that outdated piece of crap.

Get a cube 60 and save for the rg aswell. Tell your "friend" to go jump

Well, my bad. you misunderstood. It's like this. I had this guy telling me he would sell me the unit for $200. And another friend of mine who's the kind of guy that locks himself in the studio 24/7 and cares about nothing else but music, so he can't tell whether it's a good price but he suggested that I get the unit, he also mentioned that after GT-3 there are other newer versions but several of those have 'bugs' whereas GT-3 is a rock solid unit. GT-3 must have been really famous back then?

anyways, I have just about enough money for the RG now and I've been saving for half a year, so I guess I'd get the RG first... Many thanks to you all for your timely advice.
I have a GT-3 and I found it on ebay for 120. 200 is a bit more expensive BUT i should say this: this is the single best piece of equipment I've EVER BOUGHT for my guitar. I will never EVER need another pedal and the sounds that you can get out of this pedal are EXTREMELY versatile.

BUT 200 is a bit much. If you find it for 100-120, i'd jump on it. 200 can maybe get you a gt-6 (which i've never had experience with but if it's similar to gt-3 then i'd hop on it)
Guitars:
Ibanez RGT 42FM
Ibanez AW20ASENT
Yamaha G-55A
Squier Stratocaster w/Scalloped Neck

Amp+FX+Lulz:
Boss GT-3
Crate GX-30M
Fender Hot Rod DeVille