Hey guys, I’ve just got a few questions and need some answers.

I have 8 years piano experience, and I’ve been playing the bass since June ’07, so that’s be about eight months. I have a Squier P-Bass Special and a Traynor “Bass Mate 10” Amp. What does equalizer mean, and I have High, Medium and Low, each from 1 – 10. Same with Presence, from 1 – 10. I’ve been taking lessons since, but I don’t really enjoy the lessons now since my teacher doesn’t really offer me any songs to practice on or anything like that, we just work on soloing and walking lines. So when I play, obviously I should start with a few scales. Then do some sight reading perhaps, since I have Bass Method 2 – Hal Leonard. Then maybe work on a bit of slap techniques? I’m not really into slap that much, but it wouldn’t mind if you guys could just suggest some things to work on. I’ve went through the Technical Slap thread, and I’m going to start to input some of it into my practice.

Now, I really don’t know what direction I should be working at. For piano, it’s much easier since I can just practice my Repertoire pieces since I’m working to become a piano teacher. But for bass, I dunno. I took up the instrument because I needed an instrument for Music class at school, and now since I went to my friend’s house last night to jam together, it re-inspired to progress. I listen to video game, classical, post-hardcore, indie and alternative rock. This ranges from Nintendo games like Castlevania and Metroid to Thursday and Protest the Hero. So now the big question, what things can I be doing right now, that can be improving my skill, technique and speed?

Thanks.
KONRAD
"My cat's breath smells like cat food."
The equaliser (also known as EQ) cuts and sometimes boosts certain frequecies. If you want a more bassier sound you'd turn the knob to the right. More treble and turn the treble (aka highs) knob to the right.

One of the best things you could probably do for yourself as a bassist is to start a band!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
So like Low - 10 means it will be more bass, and High - 10 means more treble - correct? What about Presence?

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a video game cover band started soon, especially since we jammed to a couple of tunes last night with guitar and keyboard as well.

Thanks, keep the suggestions coming.
KONRAD
"My cat's breath smells like cat food."
Presence controls the EQ for the mids.

Boost this to come out of the mix more, cut it to get swallowed by distorted guitars.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9