Page 1 of 2
Has anyone like this ever happened to anyone?

Okay I'm at work right now. I work in a coffee shop. A customer came in a few minutes ago looking for "regular coffee," I referred him to the Kenya AA I had brewed at the moment, because it's a fairly straightforward medium roast. He said he didn't want African coffee because he "had a bad experience with people from Africa." That kind of struck a chord with me. I mentioned that the coffee plant was native to Ethiopia, so all coffee is technically African, but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. He eventually had the Kenyan coffee, but commented that he still didn't like the name.

I was pretty mad, but I kept being somewhat polite because he was a customer. I feel kind of bad about it now. I feel like I should have called him on his bigotry and refused to serve him. (I wouldn't have gotten fired for it or anything. My boss is chill)

What would you do in this situation? Any similar experiences? etc.
Would you like a Midol?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
you work as a proffesional, you did exactly what you should do, as long as he didnt scream heil hitler and marched around with a white hood on, just bear with them
Meh, he's just an ignorant bigot. I've had bad experiences with black people before but that doesn't stop me from drinking coffee or making friends with black people.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
he sounds like a dick, but you can't hate him for having opinions. even if they are idiotic.
i definatly wouldnt refuse to serve him because of his opinion.
but he was being a tad silly really.
i would of just ignored him and got on with my life personally
Out of curiousity, did he take his coffee black, or did he put milk and sugar in it?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
You should have chucked the coffee in his face. What a retard.

But in reality, I suppose people believe these things and you can't do anything about it. Just forget about it.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Seriously people take racism a bit TOO seriously now.
But the man you served does sound like a bit of a ****.

too true
i get made fun of for being small, no one cares
some kid gets angry and calls a black person a ******, everyone treats it as if nothing else matters.
plus size effects everyone no matter what your race/nationality/creed is, so it should be deemed worse i guess
Quote by Will_Minus
Out of curiousity, did he take his coffee black, or did he put milk and sugar in it?

hahahaha thats funny
there has to be a point where this stops, Santa cant say Ho Ho Ho, cause it referes to the word commonly used by african american rap society, also its not christmas anymore because relgions minorities in our culture don't celebrate it, we change loads of crap for them and they expect it! fare enough calling them names and not alowing them the same rights iswrong but we have our own rights.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Maybe he was molested by people from Africa as a child? or they scammed him through e-mail?

Did he say anything directly about black people?
The way you described him doesn't make him seem so bad.

So what if he was racist? Was he being an asshole to you? You shouldn't bitch him out because he has personal issues with a certain people.
Apparently Kenyans have poisoned his coffee before, Jordan.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by Will_Minus

Haha

Lots of cream & sugar.
Quote by str84ever
Maybe he isn't racist, maybe africans killed his family or something

*shrugs*

White have done so many bad things to members of my family, but I don't hate white people.
My Great Grandfather worked on a shipyard.

>.>

<.<

...That is about as relevent to that coffee as his 'bad experience' with African people is.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
OMG RACIST NOES.

Get over it, some people are just like that.
Quote by shark38j
You need a Flux Capacitor ........ Oh, wait, that's for time travel.

Quote by GiantRaven
Watch this one lads, I think he has intelligence!

Quote by unplugtheradio
or maybe he has an opinion *GASP*
Quote by Broken_Drum
That's still racist if he generalizes from that one experience that all Africans are murderers.

ah true, i suppose..
Had that over security tags on electronics at work saying that he was glad i noticed to take it off because he didn't want to be stopped by the asian security guard downstairs, i stopped the transaction and told him to leave before there was no way i was serving him if he badmouthed my colleague like that.
I don't really see how he's being raceist, if he had a bad experience he probably doesn't want to be reminded of it... Also not all people in Africa are black, there's a fair few whites in South Africa and other parts and you didn't mention him saying he had a bad experience with black African people... Now who's the raceist? lol
hmm thats racism for you its seems every race does it sadly . But one of the worst things i heard was when my friend was going out with a black African(descent) girl and his parents said you shouldn't have sex with her you might catch HIV, i thought was a tad rough
Quote by faultyy
I don't really see how he's being raceist, if he had a bad experience he probably doesn't want to be reminded of it... Also not all people in Africa are black, there's a fair few whites in South Africa and other parts and you didn't mention him saying he had a bad experience with black African people... Now who's the raceist? lol

Being racist doesn't necessarily mean being prejudiced against people of a different skin colour. Bad mouthing African people in general is just as racist and bad mouthing black people.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
i used to deal with the worst sorts when i worked at BK. People just disgust me now. That's why I play death metal.

No really though, i got this one black dude who was trying to cheat his way into a free meal (those spiderman coupons thru BK back when Spiderman 3 came out) when he had clearly ripped the ticket in half...no kidding that ONE side of the ticket is a winner, that's why ur only supposed to scratch one thing!

ANYWAY, guy starts calling me a "petty, motherfu*ker" and then proceeds to tell me I'm racist....he literally wanted to fight me to. Guy was a big, black man in his 40's. I was a skinny white kid, only 17 y/o back then...wtf? Anyway, that's my story.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Quote by sargasm
Has anyone like this ever happened to anyone?

Okay I'm at work right now. I work in a coffee shop. A customer came in a few minutes ago looking for "regular coffee," I referred him to the Kenya AA I had brewed at the moment, because it's a fairly straightforward medium roast. He said he didn't want African coffee because he "had a bad experience with people from Africa." That kind of struck a chord with me. I mentioned that the coffee plant was native to Ethiopia, so all coffee is technically African, but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. He eventually had the Kenyan coffee, but commented that he still didn't like the name.

I was pretty mad, but I kept being somewhat polite because he was a customer. I feel kind of bad about it now. I feel like I should have called him on his bigotry and refused to serve him. (I wouldn't have gotten fired for it or anything. My boss is chill)

What would you do in this situation? Any similar experiences? etc.

its coffee dude, i dont think hes hitler incarnate. ive had problems with african people too. why are people so sensative to stuff like this? i think its overreacting. At my last job I got called into the office and a big meeting went down because supposidly my white buddy said the N word and someone heard it. A few of the black and mexican people there called me a cracker, white boy, uncle tom, and honkey daily and I payed it no mind.

EDIT: infact the same boss that called me into that meeting was there a few times I was called a cracker and such... he didnt do shit but shake his head
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Feb 1, 2008,
Nah, you did the right thing. There is no use in letting a bigot get in the way of your happiness. Just accept that it was him not being you and move on. If you would have refused to serve him, it would only make him mad and change nothing about his views. It's better to just let people like that keep walking.
its coffee dude, i dont think hes hitler incarnate. ive had problems with african people too. why are people so sensative to stuff like this? i think its overreacting. At my last job I got called into the office and a big meeting went down because supposidly my white buddy said the N word and someone heard it. A few of the black and mexican people there called me a cracker, white boy, uncle tom, and honkey daily and I payed it no mind.

EDIT: infact the same boss that called me into that meeting was there a few times I was called a cracker and such... he didnt do shit but shake his head

are you slow? you've had problems with african people? really? do you mean african people or black people?

anyway, most of the posts in this thread have been stupid. the guy was an idiot and probably racist. he deserves nothing but disrespect.

and no, racism is not taken TOO seriously. at all.

oh, and seriously, santa can't say 'ho ho ho'? nonsense. likewise, religious minorities don't care about christmas being called christmas. don't blame things on them.

UG is stupid.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
are you slow? you've had problems with african people? really? do you mean african people or black people?

anyway, most of the posts in this thread have been stupid. the guy was an idiot and probably racist. he deserves nothing but disrespect.

and no, racism is not taken TOO seriously. at all.

black people are African-Americans. and yes ive had problems with African people as well. Granted I wouldnt go into a coffee shop and make comments like that because its ****ing pointless and dumb to not drink coffee because its got an african name.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by rebeltildeth87
black people are African-Americans. and yes ive had problems with African people as well. Granted I wouldnt go into a coffee shop and make comments like that because its ****ing pointless and dumb to not drink coffee because its got an african name.

no, black people are black people. its just factually incorrect to call them african. simple as. a person who wasn't born in africa, whose parents werent born in africa, whose grandparents werent born in africa is clearly not african.

and regardless, itd be doubly idiotic to object to african coffee because of black people. i mean, the black people who harmed you have nothing in common with the africans who made the coffee besides a shared root.

even further, its idiotic to boycott anything based on the actions of a few. for instance, its fine to boycott volkswagen for their involvement with the nazi regime, but you can't boycott all german businesses because they come from the same country as the nazis. obviously.

further still, unless the guy has never had any problems with white people, his reasoning is even more nonsensical.

ergo, the guy was completely in the wrong. so stop trying to justify his actions.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
no, black people are black people. its just factually incorrect to call them african. simple as. a person who wasn't born in africa, whose parents werent born in africa, whose grandparents werent born in africa is clearly not african.

Not to mention that, shock horror, some black people AREN'T American Yeah, you get black people in other countries too, so to say "black people are African-Americans" is, uh, kinda inaccurate.
Page 1 of 2