I need something I can practice on AND be able to play small gigs with. I like the features that come with the Spider III but have heard they crash (black boxes in the display) easily.

Thoughts?
Vox, unless you play metal in case Cube 60.

Unless you can afford a Flextone, which is much, much better.

The end.
The Vox.
/thread
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
you shouldnt ever gig with the spider, im not gonna say "dont get one they are the worst thing ever", im sure they are good for some people, but if you are gigging then no way. VOX, 200%
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by webbtje
Vox, unless you play metal in case Cube 60.

Unless you can afford a Flextone, which is much, much better.

The end.

OK, I do play rock/metal so let's throw the Cube 60 in the mix as well.
I actually like the Spider 3 more than the Vox XL, but the regular Vox AD's are better than either. The Cube 60 gets props as the best metal modeler. I haven't heard anyone compare the Flextone to the Cube, it'd be nice is someone did.
Why not throw in the AD60VT? I think it has celestion in it. It's way better than my AD30VT. It's an upgrade from the ad50VT.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
The Vox XL is a bad ass metal amp. im nothing but a metal player so I never looked into vox. I heard that XL and was like damn. That thing rocked. All the high gain you could want. Plus it has a tube in there. So its a hybrid. And it killed the spider by far.
Quote by rhettro
I actually like the Spider 3 more than the Vox XL, but the regular Vox AD's are better than either. The Cube 60 gets props as the best metal modeler. I haven't heard anyone compare the Flextone to the Cube, it'd be nice is someone did.

have you heard the XL's? They blow the cubes overdrive channel away.
Don't get the Spider III. If you like the features, then get a Spider Valve. Otherwise, stick with the Vox VT-XL.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
Don't get the Spider III. If you like the features, then get a Spider Valve. Otherwise, stick with the Vox VT-XL.

agreed...
Quote by paranormal5150

I've played one today, and honestly, I think they are crap. The cubes are far superior. I actually prefer my microcubes r-fier channel to the valvetronix XL.
They are muddy and the low end sounded kinda "loose".
I was really dissapointed because I thought it was gonna be as good as the regular valvetronix.
Deffinatly not worth the pricetag.
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by paranormal5150

I've played one personally, way to muddy for my taste. Granted I only spent about a half hour on it to see if it was worth "upgrading" to over my Spider, so I imagine some may be able to tweak it a bit better. In the end I was expecting to be blown away by it's tone and it didn't deliver, in my opinion.
i dont think the metal channels on the Vox are that bad, but you should try all of these anyway.

except the spider. trust me.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
I think it's funny when I go to practicully any guitar store, there's always some guy playing blues on a Fender, rock on a Marshall and metal on the Spider. Spider amps aren't bad, but there are better amps out there for the money.
Quote by rhettro
I think it's funny when I go to practicully any guitar store, there's always some guy playing blues on a Fender, rock on a Marshall and metal on the Spider. Spider amps aren't bad, but there are better amps out there for the money.

sort of like thst here but its everyone on spiders ...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by life_777
blah I don't like both

What do you like? Please contribute.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
Thanks everybody for your quick responses and input.

I just placed my order....

I'm getting a: Vox AD30VTXL
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
Last edited by A-Ro at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by FLNagle
i dont think the metal channels on the Vox are that bad, but you should try all of these anyway.

except the spider. trust me.

Do you mean metal channels on the regular vox or the XL version? Still trying to determine if the regular Vox (non-XL) will be good for classic metal (Maiden, Ozzy, Metallica, etc.). Seen reviews both ways on this. I don't like really heavy nu-metal, and I think that's more what the XL is geared for, but I don't know. Hopefully I can try one soon.
Quote by skatefreestyle
Get the Vox man, I have the AD30VT, I love it. You won't be disappointed.

This aimed at me or TS?
Quote by Eddie NYC
This aimed at me or TS?

TS.

As for you though, I don't know. I haven't tried the XL so I can't talk from personal experience but I have the regular and I can get a pretty good Classic Metal tone.