Hard Ash, Swamp Ash, etc...What are the differences?

I know my favorite guitar (An old ESP/LTD H-2) is made of Ash, but I don't know what type. Here's a pic...

I absolutely love the sound of this guitar, and in the event I undertake a custom project, want to make sure I make the right choice. But, here's the kicker, I had two (Same year, model, even color) and the other sounded and felt completely different.

Even if I use the same type of wood, does the sound quality vary that greatly with Ash?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Swamp Ash and Hard Ash are fairly different types of wood in a guitar. Even though they are both Ash, they aren't that particularly similar.

Hard Ash is significantly heavier than Swamp Ash. That is probably the easiest way to tell the difference if you aren't sure. Swamp Ash can vary a lot, I think Hard Ash is a bit more consistent, but I'm not sure about that completely.
Best way I can describe its tone is open and airy.

Its not muted in any way, and when distorted produces a really barky yet clear and articulate tone.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
that is hard ash.
and
Swamp Ash is alot softer and lighter then Hard Ash due to the fact it is often found submerged in swamps and is therefore more porous. Easiest way to tell would be by weight. Once you remove all the hardwear, electronics, if it weighs less then 5 its probably Swamp.
Does the light grain correspond with this deduction?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头