so i bought one. now where should i get started learning it
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Try using a pick.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Cover Uncle ****er songs!
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
dammit! metaldud beat me to it.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Quote by darkfire_storm
dammit! metaldud beat me to it.

Mwuahahah and I'll do it again!

But on topic, it's a hard instrument because your fretting hand is gonna be doing all kinds of weird stretches. I say take lessons.
Quote by DashBlaster
I really suggest taking lessons. It's an incredibly hard instrument to get started on. What kinds of music are you looking to play?

classical or soft music....
but i wanted to try to learn it myself...
without a teacher
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by Little_Buster
classical or soft music....
but i wanted to try to learn it myself...
without a teacher

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but I really suggest a year of lessons just to get started. You can't really pick it up due to all of the fine work that needs to be done (bow hold, posture, etc.) But good on you for wanting to learn!
Wait, is it possible to take online lessons?
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by DashBlaster
I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but I really suggest a year of lessons just to get started. You can't really pick it up due to all of the fine work that needs to be done (bow hold, posture, etc.) But good on you for wanting to learn!

alright ill look in to lessons
Thanks
Quote by letsgocoyote
yeah don't bother trying to pick up violin on your own without lessons. there's so much that's standard with the instrument that it's really essential you learn classically.
The violin is hard enough to learn *with* a teacher. Without proper instruction, you're not only very likely to develop bad habits with playing, but you're probably going to be spending a lot more time learning things. I'm in an orchestra class at my school (bass) and we have five violins, and almost all of them are still pretty bad, despite being in the class for quite a while.

Just holding the instrument is a feat in itself if you don't know what you're doing. And then to coordinate your fretting hand and hold the instrument properly while bowing is hard as hell.

In short, get lessons. You're going to need them.

Oh, you HAVE to know how to properly hold and tighten/loosen the bow, as well as use rosin on the bow. Can't get a good sound without a good bow.
Quote by Little_Buster
alright ill look in to lessons
Thanks

Ya, that's your best option.

Violin is a really hard instrument: lessons are definitely the way to go.
The.
I started playing violin about 4 months ago. I don't think there is anyway you can teach yourself all this stuff, you have to hold the bow in a specific way, feet in playing position, arm bended, wrist straight, ...

Bottom line get a teacher or just sell the thing :P
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
violins are ****ing impossible, the fret spaces are so small, getting proper tone is holy crap its so freaking hard, props to anyone who can kind of make one sound ok, or anyone willing to try for that matter.