Fender Classic Series '72 Telecaster Deluxe
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=511141

I love the walnut colored body, but does it look stupid with a maple neck?
Are the stock pickups good? Recommend me better humbuckers?
Would I be better off with a standard MIM tele with a new neck and texas special pups?

I play bluesy rock (SRV), hard rock (van halen/Satch), soft rock (RHCP/Candlebox), Prog rock (pink floyd/Rush) and jazz.

So would single coils suit me better? I've read reviews and apparently this guitar has great twangy cleans, despite not having single coils. I'm afraid if I bought the MIM tele and changed the neck and pickups, I'll have wasted a ton of money on a guitar that can't get heavy enough.
My amp is an orange tiny terror.
I don't really have a budget, since I have a steady income and could save up $2,000 if I wanted to, but the most I really want to spend is $700 tops. But more expensive doesn't equal better, it mainly equals "american quality" which is overrated imo.
And I realize that this comes down to my opinion, but I obviously can't test out a MIM tele with a new neck and new pickups at GC, so I'm hoping someone with more knowledge could help me out.
Thanks!
I want the custom, i need the singlecoil bite, but trust me, that is a truly AWESOME guitar, for rock and possibly a bit heavier, but get it and you wont regret it.
Ive never tried a humbucker telecaster, but since its a telecaster i assume it has orgasmic cleans...
it looks like itll suit your needs pretty good. but ya as you said thats a lot of money to put into the new neck/pickup setup that you want if you dont know youll like it.

an idea for you now though. i have played before, i dont know the model name, just a normal style tele with the 2 singles. but in the bridge he had a seymour duncan hot rail which is a humbucker that fits in a single slot, i have these on my jackson and they can get real heavy. so stick one of those in the bridge and leave the fender neck pickup single and you have something that can play everything that you mentioned there.

hot rails are about $130 i think.
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
...all guitars can get soft enough. it's still a tele at heart, it'll sing sweetly if you keep the drive down.
I've never played a tele deluxe personally, but i've always liked the looks of them. I'd say get it! don't worry about the maple neck, it looks fine.
Quote by bryan j
it looks like itll suit your needs pretty good. but ya as you said thats a lot of money to put into the new neck/pickup setup that you want if you dont know youll like it.

an idea for you now though. i have played before, i dont know the model name, just a normal style tele with the 2 singles. but in the bridge he had a seymour duncan hot rail which is a humbucker that fits in a single slot, i have these on my jackson and they can get real heavy. so stick one of those in the bridge and leave the fender neck pickup single and you have something that can play everything that you mentioned there.

hot rails are about $130 i think.

Oh, that sounds like a good idea too. That way I wouldn't have to worry about it not getting heavy enough, and I'd still have the texas bluesy cleans in the neck. And with a nice warmoth neck, I don't see a reason why i wouldn't love it.
That's definitely another posibility. Thanks a lot
EDIT: and it's only $75 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-SHR-1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup-300300-i1127440.gc
The only thing is I don't know how I'll buy just a neck pickup from the Texas Special set. Will the GC guys let me only buy one for 1/2 the whole price?
Last edited by rush5757 at Feb 1, 2008,