Hello,
I am looking at upgrading the pickups in one of two guitars, and was hoping you could give me suggestions as to what you think would work best, so I know have a better idea of which pickups to try out.
I am looking at replacing pickups in either of:

Ibanez S series (Mahogony body, rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets)

Squire Strat Standard (Agathis body, mable neck, rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets)

I am going to get a new scratch plate to suit, so am looking at a HSS configuration.
The sound I am looking for is on the bridge I would like a humbucker which has lots
of sustain and is good for pinch harmonics, and can achieve heavier sounds like Avenged Sevenfold, and other hard rock / metal, as well as sounds similar to that of Joe Satriani.

I would like to have a single coil in the neck which would be suited for cleans and jazz, for sounds like The Eagles.

I would like to have a middle pick that allows me to get that ‘4th position strat sound’, but this is not as important.

I would also like them to be fairly balanced in output and sound good in the 2nd and 4th positions, but I don’t really know how to balance this as this is the first time I have replaced stock pickups.
I am open to all ideas,
Thank you,
Rob
What amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
We can't help you at all until we know what amp you're using.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Well I currently use a Roland Cube 30 but am hoping to soon upgrade to a Line6 Spider Valve or possibly another valve amp (lower end) playing through an Fx board

Rob
Don't bother with pickups until you get a decent amp - the spider doesn't count. Likewise don't bother if you're going to drown your sound in digital fx as it's just a waste of time. Finally there's absolutely no point upgrading the pickups in an agathis squier.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hi,

If the spider 'doesn't count' as a decent amp what would you recommend in that price range?

I was starting to come to the same conclusion about the squire, and I still want FX so I can play songs like surfing with the alien.

But please, any help choosing an amp would be greatly appreciated
For the amp - lookin at around £500 / $900 as an upper bound, preferably valve and 1x12 or 2x12 combo, want it to be versatile and to be able to work with FX or have in-built FX.

Rob