ok, i've had my orange TT for about a month now, and i've just been loving the tone for this whole time
however, it never occured to me as to what order i should flick the switches.
it has a power on/off switch and a standby switch which toggles between 7/15 watts.
is there a certain order i have to turn each one on, like i know that keeping it on standby warms the tubes (i think), but for how long?
also, does it matter what order i flick them off for turning it off?
im guessing this will help me prolong the life of the tubes for a bit
cheers
turn the power one, let it warm up for a minute, then take it off standby. It doesn't matter what order you turn it off, and frankly, it doesn't matter what order you turn it on, just saves the tubes using the standby.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I'm pretty sure you flick on the standby, leave it for like 30-60 seconds or so and turn the actual power on. You do the reverse for turning it off.
Quote by Kevin Saale
turn the power one, let it warm up for a minute, then take it off standby. It doesn't matter what order you turn it off, and frankly, it doesn't matter what order you turn it on, just saves the tubes using the standby.

+1 Just turning the thing straight on only lowers your tube life, it doesn't blow up the amp or anything.
yeah first turn on then standby switch
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by hell_monkey
I'm pretty sure you flick on the standby, leave it for like 30-60 seconds or so and turn the actual power on. You do the reverse for turning it off.

I believe it differs between amps. However, the main thing is: Turn one switch - power goes on, but even if you play your guitar there's no sound. Wait 30 seconds or so, flick the other switch too, and you get sound. When turning off, it doesn't matter. I believe the reverse order is so that you end up with both switches off, so you remember to warm it up next time too.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
turn power on. wait for 2 - 3 minutes. flick standby switch. i also heard you should not start with really loud stuff or high gain stuff, rather play with the volume lower for a bit and then turn up after a while. is this true?
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
^ I wouldn't worry about it. I've turned my amp straight on (no standby) full cranked and just started rocking. No problems. It'll shorten the life of your tubes though if you do it all the time.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
cheers for the opinions, it seems sort of varied in the answer, but i knew it wasnt like a huge thing, i'm just a conservative kind of person
Tubes will last as long as they last. The only thing that will really shorten their life is running your amp cranked all the time. I never practice the normal standby switch practices and my last set of power tubes lasted the better part of a decade. Standby switches are really unnecessary on guitar amplifiers.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by randomcomicboy
ok, i've had my orange TT for about a month now, and i've just been loving the tone for this whole time
however, it never occured to me as to what order i should flick the switches.
it has a power on/off switch and a standby switch which toggles between 7/15 watts.
is there a certain order i have to turn each one on, like i know that keeping it on standby warms the tubes (i think), but for how long?
also, does it matter what order i flick them off for turning it off?
im guessing this will help me prolong the life of the tubes for a bit
cheers
That's not the standby switch. That's the triode/pentode mode switch.

The standby is the center position of the power switch. Put it in that position for about 30 seconds before putting it in the on (down) position. It doesn't matter if it's in the 7 or 15 watt mode.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.