I am getting an Epi LP Standard, and I will might replace the pickups. If I do, what pickups would you recommend? I play classic rock, southern rock, some hard rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and blues. I hear Gibson's aren't worth the price, but I may be wrong. I really like the Zebra style ones if it matters.

PS- Do you think that the stock pups on the Epi LP need to be changed?
Hello
try it out and see if you like it, if you dont experiment with other guitars and brands. with the music you play it is good. but only buy the standard no faded or studios because those arent worth the money
A dimarzio in the bridge would work well. I like the neck pups on the standards, but the bridge has no balls.
^^uh, he's asking what pickups he should buy, not what kinda guitar. he's already getting an epi les paul

to TS, I hear good things about seymour duncans, but it depends on your amp. good pickups + terrible amp still equals bad tone
Yeah, i am planning on selling my dirtbike, and getting a nice amp and Les Paul, so i will be set for a while. If i try out a gibson with Burstbuckers in it, will they sound the same if they were in my guitar?
Hello
Quote by led_zep_1789
dont get epiphone they suck. gibsons the way to go

I wish, theres one thing holding me back and it starts with an "M" and ends with "oney"
Hello
Duncan Pearly Gates

/thread
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Burstbuckers are pretty overpriced, just like everything Gibson is spewing out these days. But if you like the sound of them then you should buy them. Just make sure to try them out through YOUR amp, or the amp your planning on getting.
Quote by MXBoy11
I wish, theres one thing holding me back and it starts with an "M" and ends with "oney"

Meh, Gibsons are over rated. You can get 10 times the guitar for a good deal cheaper.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
+1. I played by friends Les Paul Studio and it was nice, but I would have never paid $1200 for it. I've played guitars half the price that played and sounded a good bit better.

I think it should also be said that if the "zebra" you are talking about is the black and white bullseye guitar, thats the Zakk Wylde signature model... not sure if those EMG's are going to be what you're looking for.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by xstillspinninx
+1. I played by friends Les Paul Studio and it was nice, but I would have never paid $1200 for it. I've played guitars half the price that played and sounded a good bit better.

I think it should also be said that if the "zebra" you are talking about is the black and white bullseye guitar, thats the Zakk Wylde signature model... not sure if those EMG's are going to be what you're looking for.

No i mean the Cream and Black Colored Zebra Pups...i'll post pics
Hello
Seymour Duncan Pearly gates are wonderful. Gibson Pickups are good, but deffinitly more Value in the SD's. i personally took a SD Custom Five over Gibson Pups in my SG
Quote by MXBoy11

Mahoga...-eny? LOL, damn, I realized that's the wrong spelling.
There arent any other pickups that would fit my style. The only reason i am asking is cause it seems kinda hard to try them out. It's not like i can go to a music store and throw some SD's in it and play.
Hello
People think Epis are terrible, I mean they're alright. The body isn't made bad or nothing but the hardware is what sucks.
I use an Epi Standard but it has all Gibson hardware, tuner pegs, volume/tone knobs, bridge, pickups, etc. so it plays wonderful compared to before.
Yeah, I will probably change the nut, and the pickups. I just dont know what pickups to choose
Hello
I've got an epi LP standard with the zebra style gibson pick ups ...I get great sound out of it...but I wouldn't recomend buying them...you could get better for cheaper, I only have them cuase I bought my LP second hand and the pick ups were already in the guitar.

but if your set on them, they sound great, no exageration, and if you have the black epi...they match perfectly with the cream pickguard, if you've got the cash, and are willing to pay, then they are great.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Last edited by HLrocker at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by ECwomantoneman

The second ones seem really nice, what do they mean by sheilding, is it expensive??
Hello
Quote by jambi_mantra
Meh, Gibsons are over rated. You can get 10 times the guitar for a good deal cheaper.

I totally agree with you, but that's really not what we're discussing here.

Seymour Duncan makes pickups ideal for the style you're looking for, such as the Pearly Gates and the JB. You can buy both of them with the Zebra style color. Another one I would highly recommend would be the Dimarzio Tone Zone, which also comes in a Zebra style color.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
I read a review that said "they hum alot, i recommend sheilding these." What does sheilding mean. Putting a cover on them??
Hello
you mention you play classic and southern rock? then you should get a pair of gibson 57 classics, they are awesome for what they are. for you gibson haters. grow up. 2 thousand dollar aren't as much as you think once you have a full time job after college and start making a living
^^^Yeah woulda recommended the '57 Classics too (got great experiences of them ) but you don't seem to be able to get zebra bobbin ones in the States, only place I've seen them is from Thomann in Germany
Quote by MXBoy11
There arent any other pickups that would fit my style. The only reason i am asking is cause it seems kinda hard to try them out. It's not like i can go to a music store and throw some SD's in it and play.

You said you play southern rock, rock and blues...Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top and Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers both use the Pearly Gates, that should tell you everything you need to know about whether they'll suit you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com