I can't say I've been playing for long, but all the guitars I've played, including the one I had, have all had a fixed bridge. I just got a new guitar, and I was curious as to how tuning was different on a floating bridge (double locking) as people were telling me that down tuning was going to be a pain in the ass if I got a floating bridge. I unscrewed the locking nuts and down tuned as I would normally, and it sounds fine.

So, um.. is there something I'm not doing right? Why did people tell me it'd be a pain in the ass?

Just curious.
Well, as long as your bridge isn't pulling up or sinking in, you should be fine. That's the general problem - if the tension in the screws/springs isn't balanced by the tension of the strings, your bridge won't be level, and that would cause action/intonation issues.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by DrNick
Well, as long as your bridge isn't pulling up or sinking in, you should be fine. That's the general problem - if the tension in the screws/springs isn't balanced by the tension of the strings, your bridge won't be level, and that would cause action/intonation issues.

Now that I look at it, the bridge is sticking out a bit more on the side where the tremolo is, is it supposed to be like that?
Quote by Morphox
Now that I look at it, the bridge is sticking out a bit more on the side where the tremolo is, is it supposed to be like that?

My Ibanez Rg 170R does the exact same thing but nothing bad comes out of it, I don't know for sure but I think it's safe to say don't worry about it.
Quote by DSchmitty
My Ibanez Rg 170R does the exact same thing but nothing bad comes out of it, I don't know for sure but I think it's safe to say don't worry about it.

Well there's a slot for the alan key on it, and I leveled it with the other side of the bridge. The action is lower and I can't really hear a difference.. I'm not gonna fu** with it anymore though, I've already broken a string and disfigured the little black thing on the bridge that keeps the string in place. I'm gonna take it back to the shop and get it set up properly.
That's not how you level the bridge, you have to adjust the tension of the springs in the back cavity.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There's an FR setup guide stickied on top of this forum. READ IT! You don't need to have a shop do it for you. Learn how to do it yourself.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
There are also loads of trem setup guides on youtube if you're more of a video person than a text person
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Before I took my Fender to the shop to be worked on I could drop tune. After that I couldn't go past drop D, so I got an Ibanez for that. Your floating bridge probally isn't set right.