I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I checked the search bar, but nothing particular came up)

But what should i get, A Flanger or a Phaser.

I'm not sure, i've had a proper go with a flanger and loved it (the whoosh effect), but i read somewhere phasers are similar, so i listened to a few samples, and they sound good aswell, so i don't know what to get.

I play mostly industrial metal, but i'm mostly considering the F/P pedal for just experimenting.

So your opinions please.

(PS Could anyone suggest any makes aswell, i'm interested in electro harmonix,as i've head they are very good, but have never had any experience of them.
EDIT: I'm interested in them as i hate digital sounding effects, and would prefer analog.)
I'd take flanger. It makes a cool whoosh like you said...kind of like a plane flying over u or something...

phasers are kind of robotic echoes to me...

and do check out electro harmonix...they're fully analog
I was leaning towards Flange anyway.

Any recommendations?
I've had various brands of both. They're both cool but for different reasons. I have a decent amount of effects, but don't like using them much anymore. One of the few things I'll gig with is a boss ph3 phaser though. Might not be the best sounding, but decent and versatile, and built to last. With this, I can get very chorus-like sounds, some flanger-like sounds, as well as classic phaser sounds.

Flangers are cool but I tend to find more uses for a phaser, provided you know how to adjust it. To me, phasers have more character and are more interesting sounding than the plain up and down wooosh of a flanger, but that's just me.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Are phasers usually more versatile?

I'm reading up on them atm, and it seems that you can almost make the flange effect with a phaser (like you said).
the ph-3 is pretty flange-ish on the rise/fall settings
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I'd prefer not to go with Boss. Like i said, too Digital.
It can be. The ph3 has too many settings, most of which I don't use. I pretty much leave it on the 12-step and tweak that if needed. This setting isn't too bad or digital sounding compared to some others.

Also, I think their ph2 was better sounding and more simple. I'd get another ph2 off ebay (usually like $30) but I'm used to the ph3 now so I'll leave it until it annoys me.

Also, everyone's different, but for me - phasers are more versatile. I can get a lot of good tones out of a good phaser. A good flanger will get me like two sounds: a mellow woosh or extreme vomit sounds. Fun for like a day.

A good phaser will inspire me to write different things I normally wouldn't think of, and I can play it all day. Flangers just make me want to noodle or play the intro to Barracuda
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Last edited by dgonz at Feb 1, 2008,
i belive the ph-3 is analogue, black knobs and all.

it sounds great tho, not really digital at all.
Oooh, ok. Ill have a look at that.

Has anyone ever experienced the EHX "Flanger Hoax"?

Or the

EHX Electric Mistress?
oooh, i think the EHX purple stain is a multi with a couple fx
I saw that. But i can't be bothered ith Multi FX. I'd prefer single pedals for each effect.