I was watching a guitar DVD I got and he does some string skipping arpeggio type things, and he was very specific about the up and down strokes in the pattern. I have some trouble doing them the exact way he does, but I can do them perfectly with my own up/down patterns. How important is it to adhere to strict "upstroke this note, downstroke this" type guidelines? Is it bad if I just do it my way and it sounds good? I don't want to develop bad habits.
honestly to me, as long as you have your own technique for doing it and it sounds GOOD.. then i see no problem with doing it. I made up my own patterns and techniques for picking and theyve been working for me.
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
yea, whatever feels comfortable and sounds good. but there are exceptions, such as how you pick (most people understand that it is better to use the wrist rather than the arm/elbow)
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
honestly to me, as long as you have your own technique for doing it and it sounds GOOD.. then i see no problem with doing it. I made up my own patterns and techniques for picking and theyve been working for me.

+1
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
yea, whatever feels comfortable and sounds good. but there are exceptions, such as how you pick (most people understand that it is better to use the wrist rather than the arm/elbow)

right but i'm talking about strictly alternate, like upstroking and downstroking in an exact pattern vs just doing what feels right. I make sure my hand technique is good. thanks for the input guys.
Many great players have unorthodox picking techniques. Michael Angelo (say what you want about his music, the man is pretty much the closest thing around to a technically perfect guitarist) and Steve Morse both adapted picking techniques that felt comfortable to them that would be considered "wrong" because they were unothodox. However, they both realized that they needed to use the technique their hands naturally used to play fast.
if you followed the instructions you will do it right ( but it will take some time) and then you will become really faster than doing it your own way... and im saying this based on what i suffered in sweep picking and good luck