I am thinking of making the neck of my Epi SG Special unfinished. Anybody know how i would go about doing this w/o hurting my guitar too bad?
Hello
Are you removing paint? Or just varnish?

In short, a low grade sanding paper would do the job, methinks. But I'm pretty sure you'd have to put some sort of finish on it and not leave it completely unfinished, it'll weather much faster.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Just try taking some very fine sandpaper and scuff the neck a bit to loose the gloss. It may just do the trick for you.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Yeah, i just want to keep it from getting so grippy. Should I completely remove the red paint? What should i use as finish?
Hello
if you don't mind how it's gonna look, you can just rough up the clearcoat a bit with some steel wool or fine sandpaper. Otherwise you can completely strip off the finish on the playing surface and re-do it with a satin clear-coat. Whatever you do don't leave it unfished otherwise the neck is very likely to warp.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
im pretty much doing the same thing with my sg special but im sanding the neck down a bit. making it thinner. I just planned on sanding it evenly and boom done. not that hard..
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by eddiehimself
if you don't mind how it's gonna look, you can just rough up the clearcoat a bit with some steel wool or fine sandpaper. Otherwise you can completely strip off the finish on the playing surface and re-do it with a satin clear-coat. Whatever you do don't leave it unfished otherwise the neck is very likely to warp.

Well, it doesnt need to look perfect, but I would like it to look nice. I just want it to feel like the neck of a Squier.
Hello
I would make sure you have a neat, even line of tape (electrical tape is good) at either end to give a "clean" gloss to stripped gloss meeting point and then use wire wool or very fine (600 grit) wet/dry sandpaper to take the gloss off. With very fine sandpaper it'll be quite hard to f*ck it up and go through the paint.

I've stripped and shaped maple necks a couple of times and can thoroughly recommend Tung Oil as a finish on bare wood for necks. It takes a few applications but is a beautiful ever so slightly plastic-y smooth matt finish and really nice to handle as you play. It feels like you're handling wood yet it is sealed. Going back to the neck a couple of months after you've finished and applying a light rub of tung oil, letting it dry for a day or so and then sanding with 600 grit paper produces an even smoother finish still.
For bodys I think you need lacquer of some sort, if only for the mechanical protection but, for me, nothing beats Tung Oil on necks.
Well, i just took some fine steel wool and tried to tke the gloss off a bit, and i am pleased with the results. There is definately a diffrence. I am sure I could get it nicer if I did what mothercruncher said, but I will probably wait until I get my new guitar to do that.
Hello