What is the perfect metal distortion pedal?

You tell me!!

What is the most:

Versatile?
Top Heavy?
Bottom Heavy?
Punchy?
etc.?
Check out the Demos on the BOSS and Digitech webistes.

I had a Digitech Grunge that had a Pantera-ish high-end sound.
M I Audio Tube Zone
M I Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Gt-500
T-Rex Bloody Mary
Z-vex Box of Metal
Wampler Plexnortion
What's the difference between digital and analog distortion? My price rage is between $60-100. I've heard the Metal Muff is killer.
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Line 6 Uber Metal!

+1

yup i've played alot of fifferent dist pedals and the uber metal is best by far
Id suggest the Demonizer over the solid metal sheerly due to the Demonizers EQ section being much more versatile.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by esy191
Does anyone have any opinions on the Rocktron Zombie Rectified Distortion Pedal?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Zombie-Rectified-Distortion-Pedal?sku=154236

Getting a Mesa Boogie rectified tone out of a pedal under $100 would be amazing.

Its goona be hard to say what it sounds like or what it will do because it all depends on your amp and guitar. Example most places demo clips are through a really nice tube amp and a really nice guitar. Also some pedals sound good on solid states some dont and vice versus with tube amps... So best thing is to make a trip up to a store that has a good selection or test your luck.

For something with a Mesa tone Sansamp are pretty nice. Metal Muff is a great pedal as well. For Pantera in a box the uber metal is great. Just some examples..
perfect distortion pedal is like an oxymoron..

Perfect distortion comes from a good amp and doesn't require any pedals.. All the pedals are just made to try and immitate that sound so forget pedals and think amps.
I've got a Peavey Classic 30 (all tube). It sounds great clean, but it's distortion channel is crap.

I don't have the budget to just go out and grab a JCM 800 or a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (although I acknowledge that that would be ideal), so that's why I need a good distortion pedal.

I'm already getting a Marshall Guv'nor to get that JCM 800 sound so I can cover the lighter more classic rock stuff. But I need another pedal to cover the Rectifier type stuff (TOOL, (pre-2000) System of a Down, Melvins, Fantomas) So that's why I'm asking you guys.
...yeah i also liked the sound of the grunge pedal. i also like the sound of either metal zone or death metal, but the settings i have on my ax3000g kicks ass

the dimebag distortion also good
"yeah, well, you know...

that's just like... your opinion man."

-The Dude, His Dudeness
Quote by TheDev01dOne
perfect distortion pedal is like an oxymoron..

Perfect distortion comes from a good amp and doesn't require any pedals.. All the pedals are just made to try and immitate that sound so forget pedals and think amps.

QFT

If you want a metal tone i highly advise against the pedals that advertise Metal Distortion but instead look for a distortion pedal.

The Boss DS1 is good for the price. The boss turbo distortion is quite a bit better though. Rocktron has a tube driven pedal, the silver dragon, looks quite nice.

I'm not a fan of the uber metal at all. really really thin, really piercing, ultra scooped tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I have a DS-1 that my brother left at my house, and I was not very pleased when I tried it out.

Way to much grating high end, not enough low end boost to compensate. It just sounds like the guitar is dying or the amp is blown out.

I'm looking for that sort of wall of sound distortion that fuzzy, but not too fuzzy, as I said before: early System of a Down, Melvins, and Ænima era TOOL sound.

P.S. If anyone is wants to know, my guitar is an Epiphone Explorer with a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan SH-4 Jazz in the neck.
Last edited by esy191 at Feb 1, 2008,
if you cant buy the real thing the best you can get is a GNX3 & buy some supermodel packs
if i had to buy something it would be a GNX

listen to the supermodels
http://www.mtprosound.com/MFXSUPERMODELS.html/MFXAUDIO.html

you can find different companies that make them, that's only one of them. you can find some really kick ass ones for almost any amp & speaker system
Quote by esy191
I have a DS-1 that my brother left at my house, and I was not very pleased when I tried it out.

Way to much grating high end, not enough low end boost to compensate. It just sounds like the guitar is dying or the amp is blown out.

I'm looking for that sort of wall of sound distortion that fuzzy, but not too fuzzy, as I said before: early System of a Down, Melvins, and Ænima era TOOL sound.

P.S. If anyone is wants to know, my guitar is an Epiphone Explorer with a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan SH-4 Jazz in the neck.

It's hard to get a tool tone out of amps that are in the $2000 range...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by esy191
I've got a Peavey Classic 30 (all tube). It sounds great clean, but it's distortion channel is crap.

I don't have the budget to just go out and grab a JCM 800 or a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (although I acknowledge that that would be ideal), so that's why I need a good distortion pedal.

I'm already getting a Marshall Guv'nor to get that JCM 800 sound so I can cover the lighter more classic rock stuff. But I need another pedal to cover the Rectifier type stuff (TOOL, (pre-2000) System of a Down, Melvins, Fantomas) So that's why I'm asking you guys.

If you have a Peavey Classic 30, then forget the distortion pedal idea and buy a good OD pedal. Fulltone OCD, TS-808, TS-9,MXR ZW-44, among many others.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by halikus
Id suggest the Demonizer over the solid metal sheerly due to the Demonizers EQ section being much more versatile.
I would probably also recommend the Damage Control Solid Metal as one of the "best" pedals for metal, short of buying a new high-gain, tube amp. Expensive, though at $200 USD.

Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Line 6 Uber Metal!
I own a 6505, and I think I'm gonna buy another Line 6 Uber Metal for those "special" sounds. Used to have one, then thought I wouldn't need it with such a high-gain amp (I don't), so I returned it before I could try it with my 6505. That Uber Metal has Uber-gain, and I'm dying to hear it scream through a good tube head. It's kinda digital-sounding (duh, it's digital pedal), but it's pretty insane-sounding. Plus, you can bargain Guitar Center down to like $70 USD for it. Oh yeah, and it has a GREAT built-in noise gate.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Also Adam Jones use's three different amps at once so its pretty much impossible...

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/593/ <----- Unless you buy all this...

Not to mention his silverburst guitars that he prefers were only in production for a few years before Gibson changed the paint used in them to keep it from eating the wood.

On top of that he's using unknown pickups (it's suggested that it's a Seymour Duncan JB if i'm not mistaken).

And still then, you're not adam jones and you don't play with tool so even if you had 2 $4600 diezels (the blueface is probably $1000 more though ), 1 vintage marshall, gibson silverburst, his effects and such, you're still not going to sound 100% like him.

I've gotten really really close with my roadking, the clips I posted don't quite do it justice as to how it sounds in person. The Line 6 Tone(removal)port is killing me.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Also Adam Jones use's three different amps at once so its pretty much impossible...

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/593/ <----- Unless you buy all this...

I'm not really asking how to sound like Adam Jones, I know how to sound like Adam Jones, but it costs more than I will ever be willing to spend on guitar equipment.

What I'm asking is if there are any distortion pedals which can SORT-OF-KIND-OF-MAYBE sound like TOOL (as well as other artists of the metal stylings).

Quote by LEVEL4
I would probably also recommend the Damage Control Solid Metal as one of the "best" pedals for metal, short of buying a new high-gain, tube amp. Expensive, though at $200 USD.

My budget is more around $60-$100

Quote by LEVEL4
That Uber Metal has Uber-gain, and I'm dying to hear it scream through a good tube head. It's kinda digital-sounding (duh, it's digital pedal), but it's pretty insane-sounding.

Yeah, I used to have an Uber-Metal. I liked it and the noise gate was great, but it WAS very digitally. I felt like I was losing the tube sound when I turned it on.

That's why I'm leaning more towards the Metal Muff right now. I think its analog (I know the Big Muff is) and its very versatile from what I hear - great chunky, crunchy, and scooped tones.
Try a new amp or Damage control pedals
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by esy191
What's the difference between digital and analog distortion? My price rage is between $60-100. I've heard the Metal Muff is killer.

i HATE my metal muff. It sounds phasey, EQ on thats garbage, its impossibly sensitive, until it cuts out altogether. Might as well get a good amp
Quote by henza_x
i HATE my metal muff. It sounds phasey, EQ on thats garbage, its impossibly sensitive, until it cuts out altogether. Might as well get a good amp

I love my metal muff.

To each his own.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I have the Solid Metal and you cant beat it for metal. Sounds great through my Classic 30
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
I love my metal muff.

To each his own.

+1... I love my Metal Muff too... absolutely awesome.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Has anyone ever had any problems with feedback using the Metal Muff?

The whole reason I'm looking into new pedals is because my Boss OD-20 produces uncontrollable feedback whenever I turn up the gain even just a little bit.

So I wouldn't want to repeat that experience with the Metal Muff.