so im writing a song using the harmonic minor in the key of C . i am using it in order to write my riffs. i will throw in notes within the key and some out of key. is that the write way to go about writing a song? im basically asking if i should use a scale in a certain key in order to write songs or do i play around until i find something i like?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
I'd recommend playing around to find a nice riff you like, or using the chords from the scale to work out a chorus and going from there, but knowing what key you're in will make doing that a lot easier, because it gives you a much better idea of what the more 'desirable' notes are.
Probably the latter, dunno about you, but I dont like writing strictly to a key or scale.
Working without a scale can produce great results but when it comes to making a solo over one of those parts it gets difficult sometimes. Writing a song with notes that aren't in the key will work out just fine.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Quote by matttt
Probably the latter, dunno about you, but I dont like writing strictly to a key or scale.

+1
a metal song
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
If you're going to throw in notes from outside of the scale you are using, make sure that they make sense in context. Like, if you're playing over a progression where it lingers on chords for a bar or two, then try to only play outside notes that don't clash with the chord underneath it.

Unless, of course, you are going for the dissonance.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112