Ok, so I got this Ibanez. Sent it to the shop 2 get restrung for drop C. I got some thick XLs on it. I've been playing System and stuff seems to be collecting on the pickups. (black EMGS not real the ibanez **** ones). So its easy to see the little silver shavings.

Am I playing too ruff?

Is it possible my combo of tremolo and palm muting at once? (i aint 2 smooth at it).
Quote by RockAddict311
Ok, so I got this Ibanez. Sent it to the shop 2 get restrung for drop C. I got some thick XLs on it. I've been playing System and stuff seems to be collecting on the pickups. (black EMGS not real the ibanez **** ones). So its easy to see the little silver shavings.

Am I playing too ruff?

Is it possible my combo of tremolo and palm muting at once? (i aint 2 smooth at it).

Are you really bothered by it?

Also, you might want to try using a thinner pick to spare your strings.

On the other hand, I mainly use 9's with 3mm picks and I don't really have any problems at all with shavings, although the picks wear down, so it could also be a bit of a technique thing.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I dont think a pick will take metal sahvings off your strings.... It would be the other way around and your picks would just widdle down faster. Either there was excess shavings on there from the get go or your strings arent a good quality maybe a bad batch. Ive never seen that happen with any of my strings and I used 2mm picks at one point...
No, don't try to change how rough you play. I used to have this problem where I would break strings way too often. Like 3-6 per week, for about 2 months. I thought i was playing too rough, but I decided not to change my technique and im doing great now.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.