So, i'm new to the whole pickups thing and I've been wanting to mod my guitar a bit for some time now.
I'm planning on converting my HHH Epi Les Paul into a HSH by replacing the middle pup with a SD Phat Cat and i have a few questions.
1. What are two good humbuckers that I could replace my other pups with and will they work well with the Phat Cat? (preferably with gold covers, so it goes with the guitar)
2. In an HSH guitar, when you have the middle pup and one of the humbuckers selected, is one coil from the humbucker selected or both?
Quote by hell_monkey
So, i'm new to the whole pickups thing and I've been wanting to mod my guitar a bit for some time now.
I'm planning on converting my HHH Epi Les Paul into a HSH by replacing the middle pup with a SD Phat Cat and i have a few questions.
1. What are two good humbuckers that I could replace my other pups with and will they work well with the Phat Cat? (preferably with gold covers, so it goes with the guitar)
2. In an HSH guitar, when you have the middle pup and one of the humbuckers selected, is one coil from the humbucker selected or both?

1) It all depends on preference, just have a listen to some samples by respected brands or even better, try some guitars with them installed.

2) Depends on the wiring; although in pretty much every case it's just one coil from the humbucker.

Finally, what kind of amp do you have?

It's a waste of money and effort to change your old pickups with a cheap amp.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
hmmm, vox AD, could do worse....

you can wire it however you want, with auto-splits etc. more if you'll drill it

what's your budget?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I'm not quite sure yet...i'd say round $300 or so? that's for all three pickups...I'm also thinking of buying a new nut and bridge...
Quote by hell_monkey
I'm not quite sure yet...i'd say round $300 or so? that's for all three pickups...I'm also thinking of buying a new nut and bridge...

The new nut will be pretty inexpensive and it might be a nice mod.

What do you want to change your bridge to though, seeing as Tune-O-Matics seem to have the tendency to be pretty damn solid?
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I meant would buy a new nut and mod the bridge, sorry
I think i'm gonna reverse the saddles for the lower three strings, to improve intonation.
Any other pup suggestions? i'm looking at seymour duncans

I'm thinking...Alnico II pro in the neck, Classic 59 in the bridge?
Last edited by hell_monkey at Feb 1, 2008,
Crunchy distortion and smooth cleans...I'm more into Classic rock and blues
Think GnR or Led Zeppelin.
Siick..
I'm probably gonna go for the Custom 5 bridge and the Alnico II neck
Thanks man
Whoa...I've been looking at Guitar Fetish, and their pickups are like a fraction of the cost of seymour duncans! anyone know what they sound like and if they are of similar quality as SDs?
+1 to Forsakenazreal (or howegver you spell it haha) I Have the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 and i sware by it. awesome Pickup.

And Guitarfetish probobly wont even come close to the quality of a SD.