I was thinking of buying all american parts of a strat from ebay (neck, body, loaded pickguard, saddles, tuners, etc.) and then paying a guitar tech to attach the loaded pickguard to the pickup selector and input jack. Because the parts are all american, would this result in an American quality guitar? Or is there something else that is done to American strats that make them "American Standard"? Also, is it this simple?
Quote by Shuk
I was thinking of buying all american parts of a strat from ebay (neck, body, loaded pickguard, saddles, tuners, etc.) and then paying a guitar tech to attach the loaded pickguard to the pickup selector and input jack. Because the parts are all american, would this result in an American quality guitar? Or is there something else that is done to American strats that make them "American Standard"? Also, is it this simple?

Well, if you buy all the parts from an American Strat, you will basically end up with an American Strat.

Assembly isn't hard and thanks to wiring diagrams (like the ones on the Seymour Duncan site) you won't need a tech to wire it for you.

Granted, when getting an American Strat the setup is part of it, but not only isn't it an incredible setup to begin with, it's not hard to do it yourself.

On the other hand, since you're going to be buying all the parts separately, you might as well upgrade it a little, by getting things like a graphite nut and locking tuners.

Also, look at warmoth and Stewmac for parts and such since they are regarded as being of great quality.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 1, 2008,
That's partially why I'm considering buying separate parts, to upgrade to locking tuners, roller nut, stainless steel saddles and whatnot. In addition, I want the body to be white and the pickguard to be mint green, with custom shop 69 pickups.

Another question is: is there any soldering required to assemble a strat with a loaded pickguard? I will get a tech to do it for me if I will have to touch a soldering iron.
Quote by Shuk
I will get a tech to do it for me if I will have to touch a soldering iron.

they do make cold soldering irons, so you don't burn yourself
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Quote by Shuk
That's partially why I'm considering buying separate parts, to upgrade to locking tuners, roller nut, stainless steel saddles and whatnot. In addition, I want the body to be white and the pickguard to be mint green, with custom shop 69 pickups.

Another question is: is there any soldering required to assemble a strat with a loaded pickguard? I will get a tech to do it for me if I will have to touch a soldering iron.

Well, you'll probably have to solder about 3 connections: two to the output and one ground.

Again, this doesn't involve any tricky wiring and it's a simple job that can be done in a few minutes. From a financial viewpoint, getting a tech to do it isn't the best idea.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!