I'm kind of a gear newb, and im wondering how players like zakk wylde and kerry king get such heavy tones out of Marshalls?

Thanks.
They're customized, plus that they use high output active pickups and in addition to that probably use boutique pedals
Cranked, gain maxed, and an OD pedal in front of it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yes, they use active pickups for extra gain, overdrive pedals, and new tubes to increase the output.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
they stack gain ontop of gain ontop of gain ontop of modded jcm800's for more gain, then add a od or 5 for more, then they add EMG's to give more gain to the pre amp of the pickups, then they just have gain every where else...lol
They eat gain for breakfast every day. I heard it has lots of fiber.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
They hot rod the **** out of their amps, pop better preamp tubes in those suckerz, gain it to 11, and then throw an OD infront, playing through an EMG armed guitar.
am i the only one who gets horrible, terrible feedback and noise at ANY volume if I try to run more than 1 OD pedal, or just one OD pedal on the 2nd channel of my amp?

I dont think the sound will get heavier and heavier with more gain, and added pedals, I just think it will increase, noise, hum, and feeback. amirite?
Quote by boroboy
I'm kind of a gear newb, and im wondering how players like zakk wylde and kerry king get such heavy tones out of Marshalls?

Thanks.
I don't know how Zakk gets his tone,

...but Kerry get his from the red paintjob on the front panel:

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^You don't always need to add pedal after to pedal to make it sound heavier. I mean, you're never going to make a Fender Twin sound great for metal...

The equation for great tone always begins at the amp. (Well, let's not include fingers...)

100% agree with you.

SOmetimes I look at the back pages of guitar world, where they show you a particular guy's rig. I never understood, how someone would run a distortion pedal into an overdriven amp. To me its over kill, and the resulting tones, sound like garbage.
What do you think?
Does it make any sense to buy lets say, a dual rectifier (because you love how they sound), and then run a metal designed pedal through the 2nd channel? I know the result will sound like crap.
Alot of metal players that I have read about use only their amp for their distorted tones, like a Rivera or a Krankenstein , or a dual rectifier, I am sure you get my point.
am i making sense?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I don't know how Zakk gets his tone,

...but Kerry get his from the red paintjob on the front panel:

I thought you would know how Zakk got his tone...

"Totally Slamming"
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by richgray5
100% agree with you.

SOmetimes I look at the back pages of guitar world, where they show you a particular guy's rig. I never understood, how someone would run a distortion pedal into an overdriven amp. To me its over kill, and the resulting tones, sound like garbage.
What do you think?
Does it make any sense to buy lets say, a dual rectifier (because you love how they sound), and then run a metal designed pedal through the 2nd channel? I know the result will sound like crap.
Alot of metal players that I have read about use only their amp for their distorted tones, like a Rivera or a Krankenstein , or a dual rectifier, I am sure you get my point.
am i making sense?

I usually use my OD/fuzz pedals on my clean channel, myself. Except, I do use my Rangemaster clone on my dirty channel for solos.

However, a lot of people use certain pedals on their OD channel for a different affect. Rand Rhoads used an MXR Distortion + on his Marshall's OD to get a crunchier sound.
I don't think everyone who has a rig with a distortion pedal in front of their amp always use it on top. And I doubt they dime it. I would assume they use it for the way the pedal shapes their tone, rather solely for adding gain.
A lot of people use an OD rather than a boost pedal for solo boosts, too. So that may be it.

And yeah, for most metal players, haha, it's a plug and play operation.
Quote by richgray5
am i the only one who gets horrible, terrible feedback and noise at ANY volume if I try to run more than 1 OD pedal, or just one OD pedal on the 2nd channel of my amp?

I dont think the sound will get heavier and heavier with more gain, and added pedals, I just think it will increase, noise, hum, and feeback. amirite?

they have $1000 noise gates that you dont.
Their amps probably have like 60 tubes added for more gain too
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer