Im looking to get an epi lp standard (i wish i could afford gibson lol)

What are your views on the epiphone les paul standard, alot of reviews state that they are exeptional guitars and for the price i cnt complain, what are your thoughts, and what setups/effects go nicely with it.
Hey mate,

If you can afford it, ud probably want to look at getting an epiphone les paul custom model at least. The standard and studio models have really poor hardware, tone knobs, volume controls and other problems such as intonation and trust me you dont want to have to deal with that **** . Get an epi custom or higher if you can, replace the pickups with better ones (seymour duncan etc) and you will basically have a gibson without the gibson logo. Setup wise, buy a decent amp like a marshall (not an mg series) or a vox, and a dunlop crybaby wah will go good with it aswell. I just had my tone and volume controls replaced on my epi studio, plus i brought a set of seymour duncan alnico pros and had them wired exactly like a 65 les paul, and i gotta tell ya, ive never thought i could get such a beautiful sound out of a crappy studio.
Last edited by slashedaxl103 at Feb 1, 2008,
I own an Epi LP. I is a great lead guitar and fits my style perfectly, which calls for swift power chords, hammer-ons, long bends, tremelo-picking runs, and the occasional slide guitar. I pass the bassy guitar through a Dunlop wah to boost treble, and that in turn goes through my vox valvetronix. With that I get my crunched up punk sound for punchy songs. When I go clean, the rhythym pickup shines with warmth.
They are great guitars for the price. If you like it, go for it.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
i second the above notion
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
get it. Then change the pickups for Seymour Duncan JBs and Jazzs. I have a JB on my epi LP and its probably the best guitar in the price range (yet to change the neck p-up tho) the stock pickups on epis are extremley bassy and muddy and just not good for rock and metal.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Ive got a standard (its the custom without that special wood) and its awesome go for it
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
I have the Epi. Les Paul Standard Plus and love it. For the money I think it is the best buy. I have had Gibson LPs and loved them but the weight gets tiring after 3 nights of show but My epi gives me great sound, I was able to lower the action myself and it screams and it isn't such a load on mt shoulders and back.
I own one, too.

Pros: It looks nice, and has a decent sound for the price.

Cons: It's kind of heavy, and very uncomfortable to play standing. Also, I find the neck to be a little thick.

All in all, it's not bad at all; very versatile.
i get a lot of string buzz on mine, its kind of annoying.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
The plain top is the best deal and possibly the best guitar. Don't buy guitars that need expensive upgrades, just get a good setup and buy a Gibson later. Epis are decent guitars. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one. Only my opinions.
If you can get one from a dealer that demands that all their stock is 100 percent I wouldn't complain. Tokai Loverock models tend to have better pick-ups and get better reviews. In my book the Tokai Loverock ALS48 is a better guitar for the money.
Stop showing off and play the music!
I think there are much better guitars out there for the price, but they aren't bad guitars by any means.

What country are you from?

I would definitely suggest taking a look at some Hagstrom Swedes or Michael Kelly Patriots instead.

Far better guitars for the price.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I have an Epi LP Standard, great guitar, go for it! The only complain about it is that the top strap button fell of the first day I had it, it had nothing to do with the wood or something, they had just drilled(? Don't know if that's the English word for it) a hole too big for the (what's it called!? ...Yeah, you probably know what I mean, my English is a bit crappy, I don't know all words and such). But I don't think it happens often.

So go for it!
Quote by Fuzzbox91
i get a lot of string buzz on mine, its kind of annoying.

I agree, the string buzz is ridiculous, even after I had mine "set up", it still buzzes massively on the D and A strings.
+1 for the Hagstrom Swede. Similar guitar, higher quality, and cheaper.

--- D