i went to a guitar shop today to get my guitar fixed up (it was broken) and i saw this amp for $200. its a pretty old amp but the price caught my eye. ive heard that its a hybrid, a tube power amp and a solid state pre amp, 2 6L6GC's and is 65 watts. what exactly is a hybrid amp? im going to try it out when i pick up my guitar but i was wondering does anyone know anything about it? does it sound good? i play lots of rock and metal and stuff but the occasional clean stuff. if i have to i can plug my metal muff into it for the high gain tones.
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
I suspect that amp will have plenty of gain without a pedal. Hybrid amps are either ss pre-amp and tube power section or more commonly a tube pre-amp and solid-state power amp. There are even some with ss pre-amps and one tube in the power section augmented by solid state circuitry also in the power amp.
Some players love the ss pre-amp/tube power-amp configuration, first used in some early Musicman amps and later by Peavey. Best thing to do is try it out. You could fall in love or be disgusted. I tend to think they sound pretty darn good.
I have that amp, its a beast, and the overdrive is perfect for hard/classic rock but might not stretch to metal without a pedal. Works nicely with pedals though
Quote by tzmen23
i went to a guitar shop today to get my guitar fixed up (it was broken) and i saw this amp for $200. its a pretty old amp but the price caught my eye. ive heard that its a hybrid, a tube power amp and a solid state pre amp, 2 6L6GC's and is 65 watts. what exactly is a hybrid amp? im going to try it out when i pick up my guitar but i was wondering does anyone know anything about it? does it sound good? i play lots of rock and metal and stuff but the occasional clean stuff. if i have to i can plug my metal muff into it for the high gain tones.

It's a wonderful sounding amp. The other guitarist in my band plays one and it's awesome. I don't think you would want it as a main amp if you're into the heavier stuff, but this amp has lovely cleans and some really raunchy sounding overdrive, but it doesn't have enough gain to play metal though. If you want to use pedals for your dirt, this amp would be great, it takes pedals really well.

EDIT: It's a great example of a good sounding hybrid amp. The tubes are in the power section which really makes it sound tube-like unlike the tube preamp/SS poweramp hybrids which fail at this usually.

EDIT 2: Holy shit, talk about necrobumping, especially just to add some redundant comment (by now at least).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD at Jun 20, 2010,