What's up UG bassists?

Awrite, my brother needs a new bass guitar. He's 12, and is looking for a good second one. He has his sights set on a Epiphone EB-3 bass. It is in his price range of 300 to 500 bucks. He sat down at guitar center one day and was playing a couple basses (mostly epiphone ones), and he seemed to like that one the best. I am afraid that he doesn't know exactly enough about the tone that he wants and has nothing to compare the bass to. He has only been using a crappy Indiana bass for about a year. He is mainly playing rock and hard rock.

I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions for good basses in that price range? Tone? Also if you could include photos or links, that would be great. Thanks in advance guys.
ibanez edb 400 it has an eq booster...and a nice fast neck while sustaining its deep tone...its light too....im a guitar player...but i bought it anyways...it got it for like 400 bucks
He says that he is "not attracted to that type of body"

I tell him that he needs to try different styles...

Any others?
Quote by Dive Bomber
He says that he is "not attracted to that type of body"

I tell him that he needs to try different styles...

Any others?

With that attitude, he'll end up with a poor playing and poor sounding bass. If he wants to be looked at, tell him to get a guitar or a sex change.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Brothers don't let Brothers buy Epiphones.

A MIM Fender Jazz or P-Bass would be great for him(and anyone). Ibanez is incredibly popular. I haven't tried one lately, but the only people that say bad things about them are people with 3 or 4 $1,000 + basses. Those are good places to start,
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert