I was wondering... why do people always go to guitar stores with no intention of buying anything?

Sure, you get to play equipment other than your own, but I just find it odd that people get so much satisfaction out of it... I don't see the point, I guess..

So, why do you do it? or do you do it, even?

EDIT:
I guess a better point to make is that I find it pretty disrespectful to go into a guitar store, play random instruments without any intention to ever buy it.. It's like people that go into the Sharper Image store, sit in the massaging chair for 10 minutes and leave without looking at anything else.. Am I the only one that feels this way?
Last edited by RockThe40oz at Feb 1, 2008,
Because we're bored?...
You also get a chance to play guitars/use amps that (probably) are much better than your own.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
I don't live near a guitar store, but if I did I'd go in a lot. I get so sick of my guitar sometimes.
There are some guitars you know you'd never buy but you want to try them out like the jem that was fun to play but I'm not spending almost £2000 on it
For fun?
Play guitars they might not be able to afford?
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by Doppelgänger
Test something out for a future purchase, maybe?

Perhaps, but there are those that just go to wank around on some expensive guitar they will never afford, which I find pretty disrespectful to both the instrument and the store
I enjoy looking at the pretty instruments
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
if you walk into a place full of things you enjoy or like, why would you not want to hang around?
I guess a better point to make is that I find it pretty disrespectful to go into a guitar store, play random instruments without any intention to ever buy it.. It's like people that go into the Sharper Image store, sit in the massaging chair for 10 minutes and leave without looking at anything else.. Am I the only one that feels this way?
Well, since I live nowhere near any decent guitar stores (at least 3 hours from a dealer with more than 3 Gibson guitars), when I the need to go to one if I can just in case I find something I like. I don't think I've ever browsed without at least buying picks or strings.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Unfortunatley the music center I used to go to wasn't a really big place nor was it very friendly. They probably wouldn't let you try anything for more than a few seconds. If they let me I'd go try out new things and maybe find a direction as far as finding a good tone goes.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by RockThe40oz
Perhaps, but there are those that just go to wank around on some expensive guitar they will never afford, which I find pretty disrespectful to both the instrument and the store

so if you aren't able to ever buy it you should never be able to play it. I like to go there to play guitars that I might buy in the future or to play some that I know I won't ever be able to afford but are still a lot better than my own and fun to play
fun. its not disrespectful. and people dont do the massage chair thing. we at least move from one bass/guitar/piano/drum to the next. it lets you try out maybe a 5 or 6 string?(bass) a 7 string or baritone guitar(guitar) more drum heads. so yeah. and also different stuff has different tones, sounds, and settings
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Yeah, i usually 'try out' one of the guitars i own, or a copy of it with something i plan on buying... I dont plan on buying any guitars for a good while yet, im happy with my collection atm, so just effects and amps lol.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Quote by matosh.lee
fun. its not disrespectful. and people dont do the massage chair thing. we at least move from one bass/guitar/piano/drum to the next. it lets you try out maybe a 5 or 6 string?(bass) a 7 string or baritone guitar(guitar) more drum heads. so yeah. and also different stuff has different tones, sounds, and settings

That's all well and good, and I can understand that. Every once in a while (once or twice a year, maybe) I'll go into a guitar store and spend a decent amount of time trying out new stuff I haven't played before in case I find something that makes me go "Oh damn... I need to sell all the stuff I have and buy that instead."

I'm more speaking of the people that make it a weekly excursion.
i take lessons from my guitar store...
but if they didnt want you trying stuff they wouldn't let you, if they kicked you out for trying something you ain't byin' would you ever go back?
besides after layin a cool guitar you might decide you eally want it and get it(if your'e rich)
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I can see where you're coming from, kinda. I can see why an employee wouldn't like it much, but you're just a random dude spectating. It's not your thing, don't get involved.

If I go into Guitar Center and play a Stevie Ray Vaughan strat, it's because maybe I want to buy it someday and I'm just tiding myself over until I get rich.
i love going to store, to see what new gear they got in, and occasionally theres that must-have item i wouldnt have otherwise come accross had i not randomly gone though for no reason.

and who doesent enjoy picking up a $3000 guitar and going to town on some giant Marshall? If nothing else, its fun to make someone put a guitar down after they play "smoke on the Water" by shredding the hell out of something you'll never own
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
To scope out new gear. Hell, I wouldn't be into PRS if I hadn't gone to Guitar Center this one time... they had a bright trans-orange Custom 22 with a Floyd Rose and EMGs. Even as an opponent of active pickups, it was cool.