Alright, in short, theres this other bass player who totally wants to undermine my position in the band that im currently in. He claims to be like, really awesome, but ive never heard him play before. Anyway, in order to maintain my bass playing status, im gonna have to spin out some steller stuff. So basically, i just need some songs where the bass part moves around alot, isnt all that repetative, and kicks ass.
try some Anthrax (Caught In A Mosh) then go for some Metallica (For Whom The Bell Tolls)
Rush. duh. Shadows fall has some pretty good bass lines too.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I think that if you're bothered with this guy trying to undermine you, you have some underlying issue with the band or your own playing as it is.

+1

Bass isnt a contest, get over it.
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
well yeah, me & the band arnt the best of friends.
And im usually a very passive person. but this is rather important to me. im not trying to turn it into a sport. Nor am i one to regaurd it as a hobby. it's just apart of me. like a lung.
Wait, so are you in this band, and are not friends with the people? That will end badly for you, unless you are the Beatles. And this guy wants to take your place in the band? I personally would leave that band if they are like that.

But regardless, I'm not sure I agree with the whole idea of "bass not being a contest." If there wasn't someone better than me out there egging me on (with their material being crazy difficult), I'm not sure I'd play bass as much. Don't get me wrong, going out and challenging random people for no reason is idiotic, but why shouldn't someone want to prove you are better than someone, if they're a dick? Isn't the whole objective of playing an instrument to be the best you can be? People see no problems with battle of the bands, when they are in essence the same concept.
That's a terrible way to judge. Sure, maybe he can play some wicked solo, but can he gel with your drummer, and can he groove with the band?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Mongoose87
That's a terrible way to judge. Sure, maybe he can play some wicked solo, but can he gel with your drummer, and can he groove with the band?

well course i can beat with the drummer! were rythem section, were like this (crosses fingers) its the singer & guitarist that im not all that great with.
Quote by reaume140

Did the demon code prevent you, from declining the rock off challenge?

exactly
'Anaethesia' by Metallica, or Paolo's bass solo from the end of Becoming the Dragon by Trivium.

Maybe you should just have a word in the drummer's ear, and you guys could go off and start something new. You'll have singers and guitarists lining up to join if you are good.
Quote by esposito123
this is stupid... quit the band and find people you get along with.

To the TS--even if the music is great, if the band relationship is poor, its going to fail in the end.

There's a unspoken truth to which many guitarists will not admit:

"There are always more bands than there are bass players".

The same holds true to some extent for good drummers. You really don't need this situation and its time to move on. You should be enjoying playing with people and not always looking over your shoulder at who could be usurping your place. Walk away, there are better things down the road and a band that will appreciate your contribution.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Wait, so are you in this band, and are not friends with the people? That will end badly for you, unless you are the Beatles. And this guy wants to take your place in the band? I personally would leave that band if they are like that.

That's not really true. I wasn't really friends with my drummer when my guitarist brought him in to practise and now I don't have the guitarist and the drummer and I are tight as hell. You don't need friends to start a band.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's not really true. I wasn't really friends with my drummer when my guitarist brought him in to practise and now I don't have the guitarist and the drummer and I are tight as hell. You don't need friends to start a band.

But you and this drummer are friends now, yes? I wasn't exactly saying you have to be friends from the start, but it will end badly most cases if you are tearing each other's throats out
I think there needs to be distinction between being "friends" and being on "friendly terms". You can still have a good band relationship as long as everyone is on friendly terms and supportive of each other.

But if it gets to the point where the bass player is lobbying beer bottles at the drum set, or in the TS case, where he feels he could be replaced by the next bassist that comes along, then there's something wrong. If he's so tight with the drummer, they should go and form their own band and leave the rest of the band to hoist themselves by their own petard.

And yes Jazzy, that would describe the Who, though the Stones had similar problems.
Last edited by anarkee at Feb 2, 2008,
It's been said already in the thread, so I guess I'm seconding the notion.. But you and the drummer start a new band. Bassists and drummers are the hardest pieces of a band to find. You'll have guitar players and singers lined up.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I'm in agreement with everyone who thinks you should take the drummer and run. If you guys are friends, and you're tight, then everyone will want you. Besides, you're obviously in a bad situation if half the band is trying to get you replaced.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
well just get along with people and be there friend and like the music and that works. i play with tech like ****. but im a good person and the other kid is annoying but im better than him with less tech. and the other bassist doesnt like our bands music. or play yyz
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Just for reference, I'm in a band with people I'm on friendly terms with and one person (the drummer) who I'm semi-close friends with. What's happening is that I'm becoming friends with the rest of the band members just by virtue of hanging out with them, writing songs, and jamming.

Anyway, you and the drummer should split and start a band on your own. To reinforce the fact that you'll have people lining up: I go to a really small school, and my drummer and I had people who play better than we do asking us if they could join our band. So you can too, especially if you're good.