Ok I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes,
Recently my Grandfather passed away, I took it very hard, but enough of that.
When he died my Grandmother told me that she wanted me to have his banjo, my pop loved this banjo, and he was extremely good at playing it.
So now I have his banjo but I have no idea how to play it, so I really want to learn, does anyone know if there are any sites or anything that could give me an idea of where to start, also it has one broken string, can banjo strings be bought from music shops or would I have to go somewhere else?

Sorry bit of a wall of text, but any help would be appreciated, thanks.
HI
ohh man that just ruined my day with that story but i know most of the music store places around sell banjo strings and i bet there are lessons on youtube
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
sorry about ur grandfather, but like zigler said, there prob r lesons or tube and strings in ur local music shop, i know theres tons at mine, theres even banjos with 10 strings in my music shop
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Quote by Zigler9
ohh man that just ruined my day with that story but i know most of the music store places around sell banjo strings and i bet there are lessons on youtube

Sorry, but thanks Forgot about youtube
HI
What type of banjo is it? How many strings has it got. I've got a 5 string bluegrass banjo, 4 normal strings and a higher one tuned half-the-way up the neck. This type of banjo is tuned in open G (gDGBd) so if you know your way around the guitar you can work out the banjo easily.

If you can find out what type it is that's a better indication of the type of music you can play on it.
Quote by Chris_Sleeps
What type of banjo is it? How many strings has it got. I've got a 5 string bluegrass banjo, 4 normal strings and a higher one tuned half-the-way up the neck. This type of banjo is tuned in open G (gDGBd) so if you know your way around the guitar you can work out the banjo easily.

If you can find out what type it is that's a better indication of the type of music you can play on it.

I'm not sure of what type of banjo it is, it has 5 strings, and one of them is tuned around halfway up the neck, would mine be like yours?
HI
the real question is does the banjo have a resonator? the big round wooden part that covers the back. open back banjos are used primarily for old-time style also known as clawhammer style or frailing. the clawhammer style was the way a banjo was played until earl scruggs came around with the 3-finger style also known as scruggs style or bluegrass style.
Quote by benwiggins
this is the resonator on my banjo

The back looks the same as his one
HI
hey that is a concentric ring banjo (well the resonator is) i use a banjo site i reckon is the best , it is the same set up as in here & there is a thread dedicated to concentric ring banjos. LOL

http://www.banjohangout.org/

my id is the same in there if you want to know someone.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
hey that is a concentric ring banjo (well the resonator is) i use a banjo site i reckon is the best , it is the same set up as in here & there is a thread dedicated to concentric ring banjos. LOL

http://www.banjohangout.org/

my id is the same in there if you want to know someone.

Ohok thanks man!
HI