Well, let me just say the list of problems in the band I'm in first of all.

- Our drummer is also our singer. I don't like that since we dont really have a main frontman, and now Chris (Drummer/vocals) can't concentrate on drumming or singing entirely. Worse more, he WHINES about his voice whenever he hears it, yet he does not volunteer to switch to rhythm guitar and vocals (he can play guitar decently well, though not like me.) and find a new drummer. Or the other option, stay drummer and FIND a new singer (who could play guitar would be nice), he is unwilling to do.

- On a somewhat similar note, I don't like that I am the only guitarist. I'm a fan of the somewhat hook-based rock... And most hook-based rock has two guitarists. One to provide the leadwork, and one for the rhythm (though that is like kindergarten math here). If I ever do leadwork, it sounds so empty and dull. The bass does not provide enough deepness. I've been told to do my best to try and provide both at the same time (which, depending on the song, is easy, hard, or impossible), but I would rather be normal. The problem with this (to Chris, anyway) is that the three of us in the band are best friends. He thinks that adding another person would screw up the chemistry.

- The name. Chris insists on being the Sundogs. I'll admit, at first, the three of us DID want this name. But since, I have grown to dislike it since no one ever knows what a Sundog is. Now, Chris gave me two weeks to think of a new name. Now, there's a problem here. Chris isnt my ****ing MOTHER; he can't give me a time limit on something like this. It's a group decision. He's a control freak. Maybe he thinks that because we practice at his house, and is the vocalist (arguably (though not fairly) the 'lead' role of many bands), he thinks he owns the band or has some sort of similar mindset. Most people that I have talked to also dislike that name.

What do i think? Well, this is a BAND. This isn't meant to be best-friends-only. That's just coincidence. He should get over himself. As for the name? Why can't we just wait until all three of us agree on one name. It shouldn't be that long before it happens.

Whatever. What do you guys think? If i quit (which i don't really WANT to do), there isn't any other bands around here with similar musical tastes for me to join.
Tell your drummer to pick rhythm + vocals or drums, and then recruit a drummer or singer depending on who he picks. Have auditions if you need to.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I say keep your options open. Keep looking for a lead singer/ guitar player and he can probably manage to sing until then. He likely will get better.

When it comes to choosing the person be picky. If you think you guys are good, don't rush the decision.

Same go's for the name. Tell him that you guys should have more time to choose a name, as you will be stuck with it most likely.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Sounds like this band is spliting up your friendships, have a big band discussion. :/
-J
Thanks, guys.

I'd tell him to take more time on the name, which is the first priority in my mind, but i know he'd bring up the 'two weeks' deal. And I know that's no excuse, and if i told him off for that, he would probably throw a fit or something.

I think if i bring anything up on this sort of subject, Chris and Trevor (bass) would just say I would be getting annoying or something. At the moment, I'm not talking to either, but I'll try to bring something up next time we talk.
Would making the bass more prominent be useful to you? get him a chorus or delay or something to deepen his sound, make it less hollow?

Aside from that, yeah, bring in a new member.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Msu_Man04

I'd tell him to take more time on the name, which is the first priority in my mind, but i know he'd bring up the 'two weeks' deal. And I know that's no excuse, and if i told him off for that, he would probably throw a fit or something.

First you must never ever TELL someone to do something. this will make you seem stuck up, and people will dislike you. instead try asking and negotiating

Quote by Msu_Man04
At the moment, I'm not talking to either

Second, this makes you sound like you are 12, in which case you should wait a few years before joining a band. another never, is that you must never give someone the cold shoulder or silent treatment. this is really a female tactic (which will unfortunately work on a male who cares) and will create more anger and disrespect for you, and may end in you being thrown out for being a Royal Prick. Unless you are female in which case you will get far more leniency.

fix these two things and you may get a little more breathing space when it comes to negotiating.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
If you get a new member, your chemistry is probs gonna be out for a little while.
But after a 'settling in' period, you should revert back to how it was before and probably gain a new best mate out of it too.

When i started my band, it was me and my 2 best mates, with a drummer and his best mate. The drummers best mate evetually split, but the drummer stayed and now we have a great chemistry and all work well together. We are also all best mates now.

Basically, if he is whining about it, maybe its time to move on. But do have a talk with him about your issues. Thats the best way.
Quote by Dunjma
Second, this makes you sound like you are 12, in which case you should wait a few years before joining a band. another never, is that you must never give someone the cold shoulder or silent treatment. this is really a female tactic (which will unfortunately work on a male who cares) and will create more anger and disrespect for you, and may end in you being thrown out for being a Royal Prick. Unless you are female in which case you will get far more leniency.

fix these two things and you may get a little more breathing space when it comes to negotiating.

Firstly, I'm 15. I believe you misunderstood. I don't mean i was giving them the silent treatment, I meant that at the moment, I was at home, neither were online, and I had no way to talk to either of them right then. So you can throw out that entire first paragraph.

As to Wulver, I expect that we could do that easily; the pedals and such are not really expensive at all. What, $50 maybe? (My Boss OS-2 Distortion pedal cost about that much I believe) But yes, I would really like to add a new member. I could as around, but it could take awhile to find another singer or something. I suppose right now, top priority is just talking things out with the band, right?
Quote by Msu_Man04
Firstly, I'm 15. I believe you misunderstood. I don't mean i was giving them the silent treatment, I meant that at the moment, I was at home, neither were online, and I had no way to talk to either of them right then. So you can throw out that entire first paragraph.

well then I'm sorry, thats just how you made it sound.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
There are a few drummers in good bands that were singers.
When you're singer+drummer. You need to drum in a strong beat, you need to hack the beats into your muscle memory and sing from your balls.
Have everyone do some backing vocals.
Work with your bassist to improve his bassing and tone so you get the deepness.
Then you could get another guitarist too, or you will work to think how you groove from lead to rythm.
Then play from your balls and if you get stressed take a tongue-in-cheek attitude and do some fun song or jam, then laugh off the mistakes.

In my opinion worth a try. Just remember to have an awesome time and if you play to an audience have the fun on stage and make the audience feel that in your tone.