have had my guitar for a bit over two years, but have only been acyually playing it about a year and a half. over this time i noticed everyonce and a whil i would get stuck due to a problem in my playing, at first it was because my picking was bad and also my finger movement so i practicced scales with alternate picking for weeks, which allowed me to improve further, eventually i realized i needed better chord movement and speed, and i continually practiced chords and also i printed off stevie vais 10 hour workout to improve my finger movement.

now im stuck in a rut and once again i realize im not going anywhere for the last month or more i havent improved. iim an average player i cant play solos in like any song except the basic solos but i can still play decent i can play crazy train, mother russia, dance of death, sunshine of your love, etc but other than sunshine of your love and a couple other songs i didnt list i can not play solos

i have tried stevie vais 10 hour workout and now john petrucci's rock discipline workout techniques and numerous scales for quite a while now but no chnge, do any of you have any other tips

*note* i do realize it takes time and i might eventually break out of this with constant practice, im just wondering if anyone else hasa any other suggestions
I often get stuck in a rut. To get myself out of it I try to visualize the possibilities ahead if I progress. It creates motivation.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
try new songs/genre's out. it's what i do when i get in a rut. i'm guessing your rut is caused by boredom? sounds like it 'cuz of all the discipline and scales, and chords, ect. go on pandora.com just type in some artists you like, when you hear something new that you like, try that out. gives me brand new motivation
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
lol trust me ive tried....maybe a little to far though but im not short of motivation
Try jamming with someone with different musical tastes than yours, it'll help you get some new ideas.
Quote by bobby_splax
try new songs/genre's out. it's what i do when i get in a rut. i'm guessing your rut is caused by boredom? sounds like it 'cuz of all the discipline and scales, and chords, ect. go on pandora.com just type in some artists you like, when you hear something new that you like, try that out. gives me brand new motivation

ok ill try that....i have moved genres from metal and rock back to the blues so i could get a feel of where it all started
yea that pandora.com thing doesnt work it says i have to be in the usa but i live in canada
I would just keep working at it, but a break might be in order. I know for some reason when I learn a riff but cant get good at it, I will just not play that riff for a day or so and when I do it magically seems to come back. As far as soloing goes, I would just play them super slow and once you can do it without looking, gradually speed it up and get the little stylistic things in there. I've been doing that with my first solo, the one from You Shook Me All Night by ACDC, and its been working out good. How much are you practicing a day? If you are only playing 20 minutes a day, you wont get better very fast.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by xstillspinninx
I would just keep working at it, but a break might be in order. I know for some reason when I learn a riff but cant get good at it, I will just not play that riff for a day or so and when I do it magically seems to come back. As far as soloing goes, I would just play them super slow and once you can do it without looking, gradually speed it up and get the little stylistic things in there. I've been doing that with my first solo, the one from You Shook Me All Night by ACDC, and its been working out good. How much are you practicing a day? If you are only playing 20 minutes a day, you wont get better very fast.

lol that was my first solo 2
id say just start a new song that u like thats not completely impossible, ur still good and u know i would like to have the skills u do lol. so keep it going
Grab your guitar and sit in front of the tv, or in a really quiet place in your house. Just sit there with it until you get an urge to play, but DO NOT play any of those 10hr workouts of Rock Discipline things. Just play what comes to mind. Even if it's not impressive, just let it flow, let it be natural.

Hell, i get pissed that i can't pick lighting fast yet, but i practice my phrasing at slow tempos, trying to harmonize with vocals from various bands. Improve my sense of melody so when i DO get speed, i can play good stuff. If you're REALLY effed about getting your picking up, practice licks from magazines, but reverse the order, or chop it up completely. Play it even if it doesn't necessarily flow amazingly. And if it doesn't flow, use the opportunity to add breaks to it, so you can add some breath to your playing. Try new things, experiment with different genres.