Okay, my band is performing Teenagers by My Chemical Romance at our school's Battle of the Bands. There's a solo near the end, and I would rather write my own solo for it. So I need some help, as I seem to have writer's block..

It's written in E major. That's really all I know about the theory part of it. So, do you guys have any ideas?
Write a solo in E major?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Well, get away from your guitar for a while, listen to some new music. Try to come up with something in your head THEN play it on guitar. Maybe you could use the vocal melody for a 'home' phrase in the solo and play around with it.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Just practice improvising, and as you come to ideas and phrases you like, keep them in there and try to phrase your solo around them.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
If it's in E major, you could also solo in C# minor, since C# minor is E major's relative minor.

Edit: Yeah, I just realized :[
Last edited by Wiegraf at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by Wiegraf
If it's in E major, you could also solo in G minor, since G minor is E major's relative minor.

you're terribly confused my friend

EMinor is the Relative Minor of GMaj.

the relative minor of Emajor would be CSharp
I played around with it, and you could try a sweep of an E chord, starting on the fourth at the 12th fret on the A string, like this:

e----------------12---
B-------------12------
G----------13---------
D-------14------------
A-12/14---------------
E---------------------

Now remember, sweeps don't need to be super fast. Do maybe eighth notes on that and I'm sure it'd sound great. That's just one lick, too. But don't get too sweep crazy

You could try this:

e--------------12-12-------12-12-------12-12-12-|
B--------------12-12-------12-12-------12-12-12-|
G-9-11-9-11b13-------11b13-------11b13----------|
D-----------------------------------------------|
A-----------------------------------------------|
E-----------------------------------------------|

I'm not really sure of what note count you'd do on that one, but it's a pretty cool lick the way I'm playing it.

The whole song is really bluesy, though. You really couldn't go wrong with either of the leads in their version, but if you must, going between major and minor sounds amazing. If you want more licks, I'll post more (or record) later, but I've gotta go right now. Hope it helps.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Page&HammettFan
I played around with it, and you could try a sweep of an E chord, starting on the fourth at the 12th fret on the A string, like this:

e----------------12---
B-------------12------
G----------13---------
D-------14------------
A-12/14---------------
E---------------------

Now remember, sweeps don't need to be super fast. Do maybe eighth notes on that and I'm sure it'd sound great. That's just one lick, too. But don't get too sweep crazy

You could try this:

e--------------12-12-------12-12-------12-12-12-|
B--------------12-12-------12-12-------12-12-12-|
G-9-11-9-11b13-------11b13-------11b13----------|
D-----------------------------------------------|
A-----------------------------------------------|
E-----------------------------------------------|

I'm not really sure of what note count you'd do on that one, but it's a pretty cool lick the way I'm playing it.

The whole song is really bluesy, though. You really couldn't go wrong with either of the leads in their version, but if you must, going between major and minor sounds amazing. If you want more licks, I'll post more (or record) later, but I've gotta go right now. Hope it helps.

Thanks, that helped alot.
You're welcome So how's it coming? That second lick I posted would probably make a good intro to the solo if you wanted to do it that way. It's not one that I'd use in the middle of a solo, but the intro to one would probably work.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by ouchies
Just improvise in E Major pentatonic - ish

meh, or just learn the other two notes and play a major scale..
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
meh, or just learn the other two notes and play a major scale..

The pentatonic would be much easier to use as there are less dissonant notes to hit.