I've decided that I want a Les Paul....the trouble is, which one to get?! Why can't they just make one model of Les Paul?

I've tried a bunch at some local stores but I would rather get a used one online and save a bit of cash. Studios, Standards, Customs....which ones do you guys prefer and why?

I also found an online store with a few that I really liked - gibsonguitarsshop.com. They appear to be some kind of eBay store. Anyone here ever dealt with this site?
i like the studio a lot. dont own one but every time i go to GC i play it. it just has an awesome neck size and shape. i love it.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
I like Standards and Customs because they will always be in fashion. They don't change much.
i think the les paul studio in alpine white with the gold hardware is the sexiest looking les paul, pure white with gold hardware, black pickguard, jet black ebony board, and plays and sounds wonderful..screw binding, lol.
**** les pauls get a PRS. such a better guitar. but if i were too choose to get a les paul id get a standard. studios are horrible dont get that one. the fretboard is so ****n cheap.
I like classic looking guitars. I don't bash other looking guitars with extreme shapes and colors. Just don't prefer them.
Quote by Chad11491
i think the les paul studio in alpine white with the gold hardware is the sexiest looking les paul, pure white with gold hardware, black pickguard, jet black ebony board, and plays and sounds wonderful..screw binding, lol.

Studio's have rosewood fingerboards.

Quote by hidden132
**** les pauls get a PRS. such a better guitar. but if i were too choose to get a les paul id get a standard. studios are horrible dont get that one. the fretboard is so ****n cheap.

Screw PRS, get a Carvin instead. PRS quality with way more options (wood, pickups, colour...) They cost less half of a PRS too.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Last edited by Doodleface at Feb 1, 2008,

One step ahead of ya! Already have a PRS (CE-22)! I love it!
does any one know if the Robot Les Pauls are any good? They look pretty cooll at least.
i like the customs dont really like the studio ones. robot les paul, i don't like the color but i guess they tune on their own or something never played one.
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature G-400
Diezel Herbert w/ Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133
i really like my signature custom. the 57 classic sounds awesome and the price of this only goes up since only 400 of them are made. also try them out before deciding which one to get, dont be sway by our opinions since urs is the only one that truely matter
does any one know if the Robot Les Pauls are any good? They look pretty cooll at least.

I've been wanting to try one of these out. They seem really cool by the promo videos that I have seen.
Sod the Studio. You might as well put your money on the floor, piss on it, then set fire to it.

The Standards are the minimum you should ever get. Past that, the differences between Standards/Classics/Customs/etc, are usually very minimal; the more you pay, you generally get a nicer finish, maybe slightly better pickups, occasionally a different neck option. It mostly just comes down to your personal preferences though. Really you need to go to a store, play a bunch, work out what it is you like and want, and then pick out the model that has those features. When you're looking at Gibsons, you can't really let yourself be ruled by price: work out what you want, which model has it, and then just buy that, cost be damned.
Really you need to go to a store, play a bunch, work out what it is you like and want, and then pick out the model that has those features. When you're looking at Gibsons, you can't really let yourself be ruled by price: work out what you want, which model has it, and then just buy that, cost be damned.

That's good advice.....god way to make sure you get what you want. I've bought a few guitars online without playing them first. But maybe for this one I might want to....
Quote by bokuho

The Standards are the minimum you should ever get. Past that, the differences between Standards/Classics/Customs/etc, are usually very minimal; the more you pay, you generally get a nicer finish, maybe slightly better pickups, occasionally a different neck option.

The differences between the Studio and the next one up are the same things you said. "nicer finish, maybe slightly better pickups, occasionally a different neck option". Those are the real only differences, and they are minimal.

no actually hes right. The studios in Alpine white and classic white have Ebony fingerboards Les Paul Studio
Gear:
2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Honeyburst)
Marshall AVT50X
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Signature Crybaby Wah
Some people will tell you that the difference between the studio and the standard is only the looks. It ISN'T. I've played a bunch of studios, and the fingerboards are utter crap, many look and feel like they have been worn down and shaved in certain places. However, if you can find a rare Les Paul Studio that is made well, go for it.

Standard is good, customs are unnecessary, and reissues are way goddamn too expensive!
Quote by hijinks
I've been wanting to try one of these out. They seem really cool by the promo videos that I have seen.

yeah i like how quick you can tune it. It's just amazes me. its strange how its only 2 g's though.
I've never played a Carvin....I'll have to try one someday.
Thanks Ozzy, for pointing out that Custom!
Quote by rmcgdd
The differences between the Studio and the next one up are the same things you said. "nicer finish, maybe slightly better pickups, occasionally a different neck option". Those are the real only differences, and they are minimal.
You're underestimating the difference between the Studio and the Standard/Classic. The Studio is a **** guitar, lower quality than most Epiphones and way below the Gibson Standard/Classic, while the Standard and Classic are at least just about good enough to gig with.
Quote by bokuho
You're underestimating the difference between the Studio and the Standard/Classic. The Studio is a **** guitar, lower quality than most Epiphones and way below the Gibson Standard/Classic, while the Standard and Classic are at least just about good enough to gig with.

just about good enough to gig with? yeah hmm i wonder what the hell slash and other famous guitarist use when they perform live
Well, Slash uses Custom Shop Gibsons, which are a different kettle of fish entirely to a Gibson production Standard. He (and others) also make use of production models from the late 60's up to the early 80's, which is right regarded as the 'golden age' of Gibson quality. Production models bakc then were much better than the production models made now.
Incidently, Slash's first and main recording Les Paul that he used through most of the early GnR sessions, wasn't even a Gibson, it was a hand-crafted one-off copy.

Think of it this way: Even Green Day, My Chemical Romance and McFly use Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls, rather than production Gibsons.
Studios are great guitars. I just got mine a few days ago. Quality is top-notch, neck is comfortable and fast, sustain is unreal. I like the 490 pickups much better than the Burstbuckers in the other LP's. I got mine in chrome and black, looks as killer as a motorcycle jacket. I have played a lot of LP's through my many years.
A buddy of mine used to have a Custom Shop Les Paul. Amazing piece of gear that was....I think he is still kicking himself for selling it!
Quote by drkephrim

I thin that the robot guitar would be a waste of money. Personally, i dont like the look of them, and i feel like they wouldnt be balanced. Not only that, but it just seems like there is more things that can go wrong with it. An if you break it, you effin skrewed!
Hello
Quote by Doodleface

Screw PRS, get a Carvin instead. PRS quality with way more options (wood, pickups, colour...) They cost less half of a PRS too.

the alpine white one has an ebony board, look it up before making a post. thank you.

people saying studio's are that bad are completely ignorant, they're just cosmetically different than the standard's, with (imo) not as good pickups, they are not inferior material or playability wise, whoever says their QC is bad on the studio's, in my opinion, QC is bad on gibson's in general, you just look for the occasional excellent ones man, good luck on finding the one for you
Last edited by Chad11491 at Feb 3, 2008,
I thin that the robot guitar would be a waste of money. Personally, i dont like the look of them, and i feel like they wouldnt be balanced. Not only that, but it just seems like there is more things that can go wrong with it. An if you break it, you effin skrewed!

I was reading last night that apparently their has been some problems with them. Some people are reporting that sometimes the robotic tuners fail to tune themselves leaving one string out of tune.
Well, figure out your budget, and see which one appeals to you the best without breaking the bank! I'd get the Les Paul Studio, and then use the rest of the money that I have left for upgrades or a new amp.
i own a lp studio....really a great guitar but i think i was lucky to have picked out a great model.be VERY careful when u go buy a guitar ,especially a studio, cus each one u try is different....look at the finish and the fingerboard before u make ur desicion. i really like my wine red w/gold hardware studio and it's not that far off from a classic or any other highend model,i must say though that the gibson quality in general has gone down lately and studios today aren't really that great but every now and then u find a guitar that is really great for the money u pay
i own a lp studio....really a great guitar but i think i was lucky to have picked out a great model.be VERY careful when u go buy a guitar ,especially a studio, cus each one u try is different....look at the finish and the fingerboard before u make ur desicion. i really like my wine red w/gold hardware studio and it's not that far off from a classic or any other highend model,i must say though that the gibson quality in general has gone down lately and studios today aren't really that great but every now and then u find a guitar that is really great for the money u pay

Good advice. I've heard that there is a ot of "hit and miss" with the production models lately. Wish I could afford Custom Shop!