Hi everybody, let me start this off...

I got my gibson LP standard 3 years ago, beautiful instrument, delicious sustain and overall great sound, but as many Gibsons, the standard tuners that come with them, detune or dont quite tune at all (Yes, Im talking about the great-looking Gibson Deluxe tuners). For a while I wasnt quite sure why my LP was detuning after some bends and playing, I was not expecting a Gibson LP to detune, but then I figured it out the problem... I got frustrated from having to tune the guitar so often, Anyways I got on the internet and searched for tuners, Im basically unsure on which would be the best choice, as for the brand I think Grover can do the trick (I can't afford Spertzels at this time).

So my options are:

1) Grover Modern Nickel Machine Heads with Metal Buttons

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Modern-Nickel-Machine-Heads-with-Metal-Buttons-101391399-i1128021.gc

2) Grover 10218C Rotomatic 18 to 1 Ratio Guitar Tuners (Chrome) (Set of 6/3 by 3)

http://www.amazon.com/Grover-10218C-Rotomatic-Guitar-Tuners/dp/B0007ORM0K

3) Grover 106C Rotomatic 18 to 1 Ratio Locking Guitar Tuners (Chrome)
"Locking tuners" sounds good but on one reviewer, the owner mentioned about having to drill biggers holes for the tuners to fit his LP D:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y2CYG/sr=8-4/qid=1201921618/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1201921618&sr=8-4&seller=

Suggestions, Opinions, Help?
Last edited by orangefloyd at Feb 1, 2008,
As long as it fits the hole, you're good.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
As long as it fits the hole, you're good.

That's what she said...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
That's what she said...

looooool yea i put grovers on my les paul and they are pritty sickk, well worth the $
I know someone with those locking tuners and they're amazing. You don't have to manually lock it: you just tune it to pitch like a normal tuner, but you don't need any windings around the post. They also never go out of tune.

I recommend them
Quote by clickypens
I know someone with those locking tuners and they're amazing. You don't have to manually lock it: you just tune it to pitch like a normal tuner, but you don't need any windings around the post. They also never go out of tune.

I recommend them

But do they fit the LP holes? Thats the only thing holding me back, I dont want to drill new holes or something.
UG's most Die Hard Rock n' Roller, hands down.

Sex, Drugs & Rock n' Roll.
Quote by Tackleberry
Grovers should fit with no problems.

Yeah, I think I'll go with the Locking Tuners.

Out of curiosity, have you ever had the saddles and nut "fixed" on your Les Paul? Is it mostly the G string? Gibson bridges are notorious for needing the saddles filed out a little (mostly the G string saddle)and the nut slightly widened for reasons such as yours. I've had the deluxe tuners on many Gibsons and had ZERO issues with it staying in tune after my tech does the work to them.
Use graphite (pencil lead) in the nut, too. It works.
Did you ever notice a famous artist that uses a Les Paul??? Next time, notice the tuners that MOST of them use.
Yep, Gibson Deluxe.

Just my .02 before you go modding your Paul
I know if you put Gibson tuners in an Epiphone you have to drill due to the metric vs. standard, but I have not heard of drilling a Gibby. I would go with option 2. I am not a huge fan of the locking tuners. Put some graphite on your nut (no, not that one, the one on your guitar) and that may help if you are getting some binding issues.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by demea
Out of curiosity, have you ever had the saddles and nut "fixed" on your Les Paul? Is it mostly the G string? Gibson bridges are notorious for needing the saddles filed out a little (mostly the G string saddle)and the nut slightly widened for reasons such as yours. I've had the deluxe tuners on many Gibsons and had ZERO issues with it staying in tune after my tech does the work to them.
Use graphite (pencil lead) in the nut, too. It works.
Did you ever notice a famous artist that uses a Les Paul??? Next time, notice the tuners that MOST of them use.
Yep, Gibson Deluxe.

Just my .02 before you go modding your Paul

Do you mind elaborating more on the saddles and nut stuff? That might be the problem and yes the G string detuning is the most annoying but they all detune...

About the Deluxe Tuners, not all the Supreme or Custom Les Pauls have those on but rather other tuners like Spertzels, Grovers and Beany for example.

I have yet to find a set of locking tuners that does not require drilling a new hole.
That said, it's rather easy to do. I've got a set of the locking rotomatics and they're a big step up from the regular ones- better tuning stability and easier string changes, etc. I also had the regular rotomatics before the locking model came out and the locking ones are the best.
Quote by orangefloyd
Do you mind elaborating more on the saddles and nut stuff? That might be the problem and yes the G string detuning is the most annoying but they all detune...

About the Deluxe Tuners, not all the Supreme or Custom Les Pauls have those on but rather other tuners like Spertzels, Grovers and Beany for example.

I'm not sure exactly what he's doing, but he claims that alot, but not all Gibsons come from the factory with the ABR-1 bridge and they're a little bit sloppy in the finish. Burrs, inconsistoncies, etc. Go figure
What he does is just does some finishing work on the saddles...he explained that hes filing it out to let the strings lay perfectly in them. He also modifies the nut by widening each string slot a bit. Whatever he's doing, it works. I've had about a half dozen Les Pauls, three SG's, an Explorer and two Flying V's and all of them after his 70.00 adjustments work like a charm. I have a new LP Standard (well it was a trade and its a 2003), but it's new to me and I'm going to drop it off next week to be setup by him. Well worth the $$$.
You may have heard of him actually. His name is Chris DiPinto and he makes DiPinto guitars. DiPinto
Shoot him an email. He's a nice knowledgeable guy.
E
Quote by demea
I'm not sure exactly what he's doing, but he claims that alot, but not all Gibsons come from the factory with the ABR-1 bridge and they're a little bit sloppy in the finish. Burrs, inconsistoncies, etc. Go figure
What he does is just does some finishing work on the saddles...he explained that hes filing it out to let the strings lay perfectly in them. He also modifies the nut by widening each string slot a bit. Whatever he's doing, it works. I've had about a half dozen Les Pauls, three SG's, an Explorer and two Flying V's and all of them after his 70.00 adjustments work like a charm. I have a new LP Standard (well it was a trade and its a 2003), but it's new to me and I'm going to drop it off next week to be setup by him. Well worth the $$$.
You may have heard of him actually. His name is Chris DiPinto and he makes DiPinto guitars. DiPinto
Shoot him an email. He's a nice knowledgeable guy.
E

Thanks, I'll check it out since it sounds straight on.