Hey I'm new here, and I'm stumped.

Does anyone know how to play music that sounds Egyptian? I found a site with Egyptian scales but they don't sound right, maybe they are wrong but can anyone help me out? I'm really into the Ancient Egyptians and my ultimate goal is to create an Egyptian Thrash Metal band. What guitar techniques and tricks should I be using?

Also I was told not to learn Egyptian scales because they are a waste of my time, what should I do?

Learning new scales is never a waste of time. And like stated, Harmonic minor and its modes are used a lot in metal
Phrygian dominant.

Learn and analyse some songs by "Nile". I've never heard them butt I've read that they have a style similar to what you're going for.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Ignore that I ever typed Metal, I want to learn how to play Egyptian Music.

Should I learn the Egyptian Scales, or are there better more exotic scales?
I still think the harmonic minor scale is the closest you're going to get to "Egyptian" sounding music, I use it all the time and I don't play metal.
Use phrygian and phrygian dominant scales. Using the minor 2nd and major 3rd in the same phrase will undoubtedly make you sound Egyptian.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
The flattened second is very important, as well as having an augmented second interval between two scale degrees.
The Egyptian scale is pointless to learn. It's just the Dorian pentatonic.

http://jguitar.com/scale/C/Egyptian
http://jguitar.com/scale?root=A%23&scale=Major+Pentatonic&fret=0&labels=none&notes=sharps

notice any similarities there? (Hint: if you learn to think scales through, harmonize your modes, and relate them to current scales you save a ****-load of wasted memorization).

As for you question, I'm more aware of an Arabian sound. Honestly, I can't think of any authentic Egyptian music. I'm pretty sure it influenced Arabian music, and obviously played a part in gypsy music. However, beyond both having dissonance, those are fairly different styles. Could you link us a youtube video or name an artist with a flavor similar to what you want?
Just using the right scale isn't necessarily enough. Instrument tone and rhythm patterns can often be more important. You can pretty much strike a harp at random and come up with a fairly Celtic sounding song, but trying to write a Celtic sounding riff on a distorted electric guitar is a lot more difficult.
The scale that is the minor scale but goes, (for example in e, on the one string)
------------------------------------
-0-1-4-5-and then-7-8-11-12. or something, sounds very egyptian, some theory geds could probaly name it but i just saw it in a magazine once.

Other than that, an example of something that isn't nile is Gates of babylon by rainbow, i think that's harmonic minor though.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by jimRH7
The scale that is the minor scale but goes, (for example in e, on the one string)
-0-1-4-5-and then-7-8-11-12. or something, sounds very egyptian, some theory geds could probaly name it but i just saw it in a magazine once.

Other than that, an example of something that isn't nile is Gates of babylon by rainbow, i think that's harmonic minor though.

That scale would be phrygian major. AKA phrygian dominant with a raised seventh to make a major seventh chord as its tonic.
listen to al dimeola
egyptian danza, alien chase on arabian desert... hes got plenty of works with an eastern feel
Thanks,

Now I won't waste my weekend.

I'm not really into Nile, I can't listen to Death Metal. I'll try to find another band that's similar.

So if the Egyptian Scales are a waste, should I try to learn the Arabian or Gypsy scales?