Page 1 of 2
What covers of punk songs by punk bands or covers of non punk songs by punk bands would be really great????. heres what i think

A Misfits Cover of "Outsider" originally by the Ramones (Danzings voice would sound great with this song)

A Dropkick Murphys Cover of "Broken" by Bad Religion with tons of banjo and bagpipes and the things that make DKMs so great.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by devourthekitten
You are on...crack?

+1
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by lavazza
AFI should split and don´t cover The Clash........

@topic: Tom Waits should cover Nellie the Elephant by the Toy dolls

yea theyd **** it up real badly, especially with all the emo **** theyve been putting out latley.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by devourthekitten
You are on...crack?

No, i'm just curious as to how a band with violins, mandolins, bagpipes, and banjos would include those instruments in a street punk song.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
yea theyd **** it up real badly, especially with all the emo **** theyve been putting out latley.
I've never heard AFI play an emo song.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
It's wierd seeing you post again
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I've never heard AFI play an emo song.

Affliction - AFI

"Every night devise
New heights in genocide.
Lover I am loveless.

All my friends and I
Toast to health and suicide.
Lover I am lonely.
Were you holding hands when my palms bled?"

Pretty emo to me if you ask.
Learn what emo is, then try again
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Punx&Skunx
Affliction - AFI

"Every night devise
New heights in genocide.
Lover I am loveless.

All my friends and I
Toast to health and suicide.
Lover I am lonely.
Were you holding hands when my palms bled?"

Pretty emo to me if you ask.

Actually, that is emo, in societies standards. It follows the same, random meaning, with talk of suicide, love, and blood.

Nothing more then a trend.
Quote by Chaise Boogie
Actually, that is emo, in societies standards. It follows the same, random meaning, with talk of suicide, love, and blood.

Nothing more then a trend.

Oh man, if Rites Of Spring and Fugazi talked about suicide, love, and blood, it would be one of the most hilarious things of all time.
Quote by Punx&Skunx
You're being sarcastic right?

No, imagine a Fugazi song with Ian McKaye singing (in his normal voice) lyrics like:
"Oh I'm so depressed
because you broke up with me
I'm gonna kill my self
oh I'm so sad...sigh..."
According to wikipedia (even though i dont really trust them) Rights of Spring was an emo band, and Fugazi was an offshoot of the first wave of emo.
Quote by Punx&Skunx
According to wikipedia (even though i dont really trust them) Rights of Spring was an emo band, and Fugazi was an offshoot of the first wave of emo.

...and neither are like "Oh I'm so depressed I'm gonna kill myself while kissing your blown out brain..."
Quote by devourthekitten
...and neither are like "Oh I'm so depressed I'm gonna kill myself while kissing your blown out brain..."

EMO AND GRIND MUST BE MERGED NOW!!!!
somebody should make a punk version of the Beatles song Twist and shout, and btw i don't like beatles, but that song could be cool
Quote by crustyreed

Merged than DESTROYED!!!!!!! as for this emo debate, im not talkin about REAL emo, im just talking about the emo that mainstreem society appreciates, thats what AFI has turned into.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
the dead kennedys should have covered hair of the dog by nazareth

not saying it would be good, but i'd like to hear it

Jack my swag
Quote by devourthekitten

Well thats emo according to societies standards.
Quote by Mack56
appearently no one knows that i was joking...how fun.

Shhh!

Maybe no one will notice and keep going!
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by PUNKfromNORWAY
somebody should make a punk version of the Beatles song Twist and shout, and btw i don't like beatles, but that song could be cool

The beatles covered that song..

Edit: And how can you not like the Beatles...they're not p0nx enough?
Quote by recklessnick
isnt emo supposed to be emotional? then what is do fugazi, rites of spring sing about?

Whatever the hell they want...
Quote by recklessnick
isnt emo supposed to be emotional? then what is do fugazi, rites of spring sing about?

Emo of today is emotional. Heres some of the wikipedia entry:

Emo (pronounced /ˈiːmoʊ/) is a style of rock music which describes several independent variations of music with common stylistic roots. Such use of the term has been the subject of much debate. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, DC music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington DC scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon. (In more recent years, the term "emotive hardcore" entered the lexicon to describe the period.)
Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music.
AFI used to be badass but lately they are emo.
Accept it.
But, to avoid turning this into an afi thread...
Mifits should've done Johnny Hit and RUn Pauline by X
And i actually think that the punk covers on that tony hawk game were good,
i Remember like TBS' cover of Suburban home and MCR's cover of astro zombnies
CTHC
Quote by BreakingTheGirl
Accept it.
But, to avoid turning this into an afi thread...
Mifits should've done Johnny Hit and RUn Pauline by X
And i actually think that the punk covers on that tony hawk game were good,
i Remember like TBS' cover of Suburban home and MCR's cover of astro zombnies

Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
That pic sums up everything I was thinking
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Punx&Skunx
Emo of today is emotional. Heres some of the wikipedia entry:

Emo (pronounced /ˈiːmoʊ/) is a style of rock music which describes several independent variations of music with common stylistic roots. Such use of the term has been the subject of much debate. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, DC music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington DC scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon. (In more recent years, the term "emotive hardcore" entered the lexicon to describe the period.)
Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music.

Quote by crustyreed

Well I've incorporated poppy lyrics about "love" and stuff (the style you'd find in Blink-182 and such), made it even poppier, and infused it with gore. For example, some lyrics go (in a "romantic" way)
"You and me will,
Pull out each other's entrails
Through our ears...
So don't you fear!"
You want the link to the MySpace?
Quote by devourthekitten
Well I've incorporated poppy lyrics about "love" and stuff (the style you'd find in Blink-182 and such), made it even poppier, and infused it with gore. For example, some lyrics go (in a "romantic" way)
"You and me will,
Pull out each other's entrails
Through our ears...
So don't you fear!"
You want the link to the MySpace?

Yes, this sounds awesome
Quote by crustyreed
Yes, this sounds awesome

www.myspace.com/analscreech
The first two are the ones that I described, the rest just suck, (I have the other recording that's similar to the first two...I could send the mp3's if you actually enjoy) but I have some good material on the computer, I imagine. Plus 4 (or something) different styles of album artwork for "Satanichrist"!
Element I understand what you think emo is(RoS, Fugazi, etc.) but arn't genres just the publics perception and labeling of a band? If so then wouldn't the general public's perception of emo be what emo really is now a days?

And yes I do hate the publics perception of emo but the truth of it is thats what most people think emo. And the emo you like owns
Quote by TheOperator
Element I understand what you think emo is(RoS, Fugazi, etc.) but arn't genres just the publics perception and labeling of a band? If so then wouldn't the general public's perception of emo be what emo really is now a days?

And yes I do hate the publics perception of emo but the truth of it is thats what most people think emo. And the emo you like owns

No, we're all elitists of what we like, and won't conform to other peoples' non-ponxnezz.
Quote by crustyreed

Screamo?

Quote by BreakingTheGirl

Pretty badass.

This needs to be posted in every thread that mentions AFI.

And for those of you who haven't been checking out the new ones, I thought this was good.

Sorry for all my picture posts
Last edited by the glue man at Feb 4, 2008,
Page 1 of 2