I heard from a friend who was building a guitar at school that ebony may cause cancer when its cut or sanded... either that or it was dangerous in some way...

Is this true???
it might be toxic, but what substance isnt when you're breathing its dust in
I dont think so. You probably have just as much of a chance with any other wood. If you're worried about breathing in sawdust just wear a mask. I could be wrong though.
Last edited by tb89 at Feb 1, 2008,
everything gives you cancer, and everything can prevent cancer too it seems
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!
ebony is not carcinogenic. some people may be allergic to it, but thats usually more common with rosewoods.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
There are some highly toxic woods that have been used on guitars that your friend was probably thinking of. First thing that comes to mind is Cocobolo which is supposed to be very bad to breathe in the dust and fumes from it. I think Wenge is also more hazardous than most woods too. I've never heard of ebony being that dangerous (maybe a certain species that is labeled as an ebony but isn't the same species as gaboon ebony is dangerous).

But bottom line, breathing anything in besides fairly clean air is probably bad for you in general, but who knows... I'm not a doctor
Well my friend wanted to build it at school and there were only two types of wood that they weren't allowed to use at all at school and one of them was ebony...
Well ebony to my understanding generally is hard enough to be bad for tools so maybe they just don't want their machinery to get worn down. If thats the case, then have your friend bring some ironwood in if its not on that list
^I'm sure if someone brought in ironwood, the teacher would probably kill them.

Purpleheart would probably still be allowed, but is still pretty hard.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by gazaa
ebony is not carcinogenic. some people may be allergic to it, but thats usually more common with rosewoods.

If you knew anything about biology, you'd know that almost anything (dust, smoke, whatever) you breathe in has the ability to be a carcinogen.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
yea, ebony dust probably wouldn't be the best think to breath in but there is no way that it causes cancer. I think the reason hes not aloud to use it is because its very hard on tools.
Quote by XibanezedgeX
Intresting little chart posted at Project Guitar:
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/roche/rec.wood.misc/wood.toxic

Rochester FTW!

And no, but Ebony is hard as a bitch.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
No matter what, you should always use a mask. And why do you think there's an aperture for a vaccuum hose on most power tools? Dusk = bad. I squirm evry time I see one of those hot rod shows where they block sand bondo filler without masks. Helloooo, cancer!
IMHO anything might cause cancer if your at a high risk and are exposed to more than the average person. Always make it a rule to wear a particle mask when sanding anything. Some materials that you breath in your lungs can't expell and it stays and collects there. You might not get cancer but you can get other lung problems and diminished lung capacity later on in life. Particle masks are cheap and well worth it if they can keep you healthy.

John
tagged
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Here is a story for you guys. I was cutting some African Padauk for some columns in my home theater. I got to one piece of Padauk in particular and started cutting. As soon as the dust hit my arms, I started feeling a tingling sensation, and started breaking out in welts.

I hurried to the doctor the next day and come to find out, the piece of Padauk I cut had a live virus in it that I had an allergic reaction to. This was over eight months ago and I still have blemishes on my arms and hands. My doc seems to think the blems will disappear with time but we will see.

We contacted Rockler (where I got the wood) and they said it can happen, but it is very rare. They were nice about it though lol.

Anyway, this thread made me want to tell this story....didn't mean to highjack it.

Chris
everything causes cancer..... so hurry up and stop breathing, cuz indoor pollutants and outdoor pollutants causes cancer... Think about it this way... if you follow my advice you won't die of cancer ^_^ lol

seriously don't do it
Yes every substance is bad for you. It also seems that with recent studies, everything is good for you. Scientists are currently testing to see it everything is bad for you, there was a flaw in the last test.
life is carcinogenic.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Feb 11, 2008,
If you ask everyone in the world you would find that everything in this world can "cause cancer"

In truth when they say it can cause cancer it means that got a bunch of lab rats(or other animals) put the said substance into or near a group of them and if more in the experimental group got cancer than those in the control group then the said item "causes cancer" sometimes these things are true carcinogens but generally they really don't affect you at all its just happens that more did get cancer than those who don't.

But i will say that some things can destroy DNA and actually cause cancer not increase risks

And yes certain types of woods(e.g. rosewood, ebony, etc.) can be toxic and possibly "increase" risks for cancer but in reality if you get cancer its more than likely Because of your genetics or possible x-rays that you have come in contact with.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by BAoxymoron
If you ask everyone in the world you would find that everything in this world can "cause cancer"

In truth when they say it can cause cancer it means that got a bunch of lab rats(or other animals) put the said substance into or near a group of them and if more in the experimental group got cancer than those in the control group then the said item "causes cancer" sometimes these things are true carcinogens but generally they really don't affect you at all its just happens that more did get cancer than those who don't.

But i will say that some things can destroy DNA and actually cause cancer not increase risks

And yes certain types of woods(e.g. rosewood, ebony, etc.) can be toxic and possibly "increase" risks for cancer but in reality if you get cancer its more than likely Because of your genetics or possible x-rays that you have come in contact with.

X-Rays do not cause cancer. Exposure to radiation does, but only in high dosages. Unless you have an X-Ray fetish, you would not get cancer from an x-ray. As for ebony causing cancer, when working with any wood, always use a dustmask, as even if it can't cause cancer, if you breath to much, you can get very sick.
Quote by CJRocker
X-Rays do not cause cancer. Exposure to radiation does, but only in high dosages. Unless you have an X-Ray fetish, you would not get cancer from an x-ray.

So that's how I got cancer...
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by RCShadow
highjack

Chris

HIJACK HIJACK can no one spell anymore
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
So that's how I got cancer...

The chances of you having an cancer from radiation are slim to none, unless you were in Chernobyl without protection for sometime the last 20 years. It likewise attacks the thyroid, so while it is possible I suppose for it to cause cancer elsewhere, unless its thyroid cancer, its not from radiation.

Its also worthy to note carcinogens in woods are NORMALLY only a carcinogen if ingested. So actually handling a say clear coated bubinga base won't cause issues, but if you decided to bite into it and swallowed pieces of wood, it would could cause issues. Hence why many materials are safe to handle as long as they are not ingested.
Quote by RCShadow
<snip>

Chris

Have you tried cocoa butter? It works wonders are healing blemishes and scars.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2