Page 1 of 2
I am starting to play in a band, and my tiny 10w traynor is just not cutting it. So as the title says i want an amp thats under 250, however i could save up to a $300 budget if its worth it.

Heres things that ive heard from the guitar shop...
dont get a line 6
more stuff(effects) ****tier the tone
probably need 50w+ to play over drums (though i kinda doubt that, i unno that y im posting)

im using the base 012 pacifica by Yamaha(which is a good starter), and im looking for good cleans, and versatility, but i should not be playing metal.

thanks for the advice in advance
fender 65fm? my friend got it for 200 and is happy with it

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Crate palominos? Used? By 50w+ I'm assuming you mean solid state. Maybe a 30w tube will suffice?
do hybrids count as tubes, i mean they arent fully tube but is it worth it, and will a ad30vt cut be enough?

and about the line 6 the guy had one in the shop, but he was like it worth it if u want the
effects and modeling , but the tone is meh compaired to the other amps in the price range
Quote by Dusty91
do hybrids count as tubes, i mean they arent fully tube but is it worth it, and will a ad30vt cut be enough?

and about the line 6 the guy had one in the shop, but he was like it worth it if u want the
effects and modeling , but the tone is meh compaired to the other amps in the price range

Hybrids are about as loud as normal solid state amps, but a valvetronix would be a good choice. Maybe look at a used AD50VT?
Used Crate Palomino V32.

The guy is right about Line 6 Spiders. Don't get it unless you want effects. Tone is horrible.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Fender Super Champ XD might be good too. 15 watt hybrid. 2 power tubes 1 preamp tube. 16 voicings. Loud as a real tube amp.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
are tubes really that loud that a 15 is louder than a 30w ss amp, i dont know anything but that sounds ridiculous

i play like pop, poprock , kinda (i hate calling it this) indie, so i guess i want good cleans and light distortion, kinda like the telecaster sound

from the response it seems like i need a 50w ss or a 15w tube(kinda too expensive)
Last edited by Dusty91 at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by Dusty91
are tubes really that loud that a 15 is louder than a 30w ss amp, i dont know anything but that sounds ridiculous

i play like pop, poprock , kinda (i hate calling it this) indie, so i guess i want good cleans and light distortion, kinda like the telecaster sound

from the response it seems like i need a 50w ss or a 30w tube(kinda too expensive)

15 tube watts is enough to get over drums. For dirty and distorted tones, at least. Not a whole lot of headroom for cleans. It sounds ridiculous, but that's how it is. It's because tube amps produce more frequencies than a solid state, so it appears to sound much loud. I'd compare a 15 watt tube amp to a 60 watt solid state.

Have you checked your local craigslist at all? Peavey Classic often go for around 350 bucks for used models. They would be perfect for what you want, and sound great. I highly recommend going used - makes your money go much further.
ya true but i live in canada, and generally amps are easily 50+ cheaper in the states brand new. (ill check craig now)

and what you said about the loudness of tube amps is crazy, have to try it myself
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/547361316.html
Good deal. Tell him that you'd like to retube it yourself with tubes of your choosing, and that it's gonna cost a bit more. It's 45 for the preamp tubes, and 30 for the power tubes, after all. So ask him to knock the price down 20-30 bucks.

It seems a bit expensive, but that amp'll last forever.

Also a good deal:
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/516271442.html
Quote by Dusty91
and thanks for the insanely quick responses
orange cube 40 $225
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/558858355.html
Marshall MG50DFX Guitar Amp - $300
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/552995174.html
and heres the search page
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/search/msg?query=amp&minAsk=&maxAsk=300

MG's are terrible

Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you save a little bit more money? The Palomino V16 is almost within your budget. You really need to spend your money wisely if you want it to last you long enough, in a band situation.

what kind of music do you play, anyway?

15 watts of tube should be enough, by the way.

It's actually under his 300 buck budget. Used you can find a 30 watt palomino or a 50w valveking.

And for the spectulation about tube amps being louder than ss, it is true. a 15 watt tube is about 50w ss. And besides watts don't measure volume. an 100w amp is only twice as loud as a 10w.

a Palomino V16 is perfect for you, especially since you don't need lot's of distortion

forsaknazrael was completly correct.
^Yeah...I know...but 250 bucks isn't much of a budget at all, if you're looking for a band worthy amp, honestly.

Quote by mcrfobtai
MG's are terrible

It's actually under his 300 buck budget. Used you can find a 30 watt palomino or a 50w valveking.

And for the spectulation about tube amps being louder than ss, it is true. a 15 watt tube is about 50w ss. And besides watts don't measure volume. an 100w amp is only twice as loud as a 10w.

a Palomino V16 is perfect for you, especially since you don't need lot's of distortion

forsaknazrael was completly correct.

Yeah, I've seen them for 280 bucks, but some places still ask for 350, and I don't know the pricing in Canada.

BTW, Dusty91, I'm really jealous. TONS of vintage Traynor gear up there. I may go to Canada sometime just to buy some.
i was planing to get my dad to pick up something from the states,
and wouldnt 30w tube be explosively loud?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-HV-30-30W-High-Voltage-TubeHybrid-1x12-Combo?sku=480797

that seems to be around what your looking for. Kustom amps have a really good clean tone i've found out. the onboard distortion isnt too great however(at least the ones ive played), so you might be better off with a pedal
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
now to get my other guitarist to ditch his 15w rage and get my bassist to upgrade too
i geuss i go checkout the palomino and the valve king
Quote by Dusty91
im just kindin we canadians have a good sense of humor eh?

We Canadians Stick together, eh?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Have you checked your local craigslist at all? Peavey Classic often go for around 350 bucks for used models. They would be perfect for what you want, and sound great. I highly recommend going used - makes your money go much further.

Actually, if you go to GC you can get one for $399, but if you haggle them you can go down as much as $250, but prolly $300 realistically. But yaa go and haggle yourself in some good deals. I know i have, look at my sig
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by forsaknazrael
Most SS amps at this budget are pretty bad, and not that great for bands, IMO.

Vox AD50VT is a good amp, and fairly loud...I would personally go full tube, though.

Yeah, full tube is the way to go once you start gigging. All those used Traynors and Peavey Classics and Palominos would be good. It might seem like alot of cash but you could get a job for a week or two to pay for it. Or maybe see if your parents or something can lend you some money and you can pay them back once you get a job. If you are lucky and have some cool parents they won't mind giving a little extra cash to make their kid happy.
im not good enough to spend $400 on an amp,
and its going to be kinda funny to have an amp thats worth twice as much as my axe
Quote by Dusty91
and its going to be kinda funny to have an amp thats worth twice as much as my axe

It's your choice, if you don't want to sound good then be my guess... just all of us in UG will say amp are important. It's not unusual for a guitarist to have a more expensive amp than the guitar.

As i said, if you have a near GC around go and shop there... you can haggle and get some great deals! Why shop online for amp if you can get a better deal in GC and it will be "new" too!!!

Peavey classic 30, around $300!!! If your lucky, possible $250!!! There clearing them out!!!
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by Dusty91

Not really. An okay guitar will sound nice through a better amp.

400 dollars really isn't that much, and probably the bare minimum I'd spend on an amp if I were looking to start a band.
Ts, What part of toronto are you from? I'm from scarborough. Also you might wanna save up a bit more. About 400, and get a traynor YCV40 or 50. They are Canadian tanks. Good for cleans, and good with gain too
Page 1 of 2