Looking for some bands that tune to BEADG and preferably are really heavy, like death metal, grindcore, or just regular heavy metal.

Thanks.
Quote by Syris
Dimmu Borgir

I'm pretty sure Dimmu drops tuning, but I could be wrong

I'll check on Children of bodom

Thanks.

Keep em coming
Quote by silentscream51
I'm pretty sure Dimmu drops tuning, but I could be wrong

I'll check on Children of bodom

Thanks.

Keep em coming

oh... I mostly listen to Dimmu's new cd and it looks like they tune to D standard for that album.
Nevermore's bassist uses a 5er I believe but they play in slack tuning. Dream Theater, Zero Hour, etc.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
To the whole Dimmu issue, they use either standard or D standard. Their bassist uses a 5 string though, and if you listen hard enough, he has some nice bass line in the new stuff. Their old bassist played on a 5 also, but never used the low B. Funny, because the bass lines to their old stuff are both great, and clearly audible. Check out some stuff from Stormblast and For All Tid.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Wonthefu
you learn something new every day.

Hmm, so he ditched the sixers altogether?

Doubt it. I think he's waiting for EBMM to release the Bongo 6, and then I imagine he'll have a fair few of those.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by Your41Plague12
Doubt it. I think he's waiting for EBMM to release the Bongo 6, and then I imagine he'll have a fair few of those.

He already has some prototypes!! Has been using them live for the last six months. And not in every song he uses the sixth string!! (high C). Live he actually plays a lot of stuff which was on the high c on the album, on the lower strings! (the first verse of honor thy father for example).
Quote by neo_evil
He already has some prototypes!! Has been using them live for the last six months. And not in every song he uses the sixth string!! (high C). Live he actually plays a lot of stuff which was on the high c on the album, on the lower strings! (the first verse of honor thy father for example).

Right. I just meant that I bet he'll have quite a few more of them once they go on the market (which they should, and SOON).
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by MustangMan311
Uhhh, not quite there, but Between the Buried and Me tunes to C#, which makes their bassist's fifth string G#. Which is hardly audible. And beast.

How is it barely audible?
Quote by Broadsword
Amon Amarth!

Excellent heavy melodeath.

Wait, i thought they tuned Drop D. WhAZZAT?

EDIT: Damn, you're right... i knew it was too good to be true, haha.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Last edited by MakeItWitChu at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by neo_evil

Yeah he was rocking the 6 string on Wednesday nite. He was awesome live.
Don't think it will appeal to you very much, but Slipknot's bassist plays in BEAD.

I know this, because it says so in Ibanez Bass Catalog

The Chariot play in BEAD I think, they're like noisy metalcore.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Myung used a 4 string on the first album, and a 5 string on Systematic Chaos.

He only really used a 5 string on dark eternal night in that studio recording video. Other songs like In the Presence of Enemies are played on a 6. He played his 6 for all the new songs in concert last august too.
this isnt so much metalcore. but some older BLS tracks zakk uses drop B. so its easier to pull off on a 5 string. other than that. dimmu borgir, cradle of filth, children of bodom, etc
Quote by izhar
He only really used a 5 string on dark eternal night in that studio recording video. Other songs like In the Presence of Enemies are played on a 6. He played his 6 for all the new songs in concert last august too.

He played all the new stuff on a 5 when I saw him play (at Download)
Quote by Welsh Guitar
At the Gates, and Carcass.

^ good job, Carcass pwn!

Also, try some of the old school In Flames, their early albums were recorded in C standard or B, which makes it perfect for 5 stringers (most people generally agree on C, though some say that Lunar Strain and Subterranean is in B)

As for songs from their "good" albums, check out the following:

Moonshield
Artifacts of the Black Rain
Behind Space
December Flower
Gyroscope
Lord Hypnos
Jotun

Necrophagist is a newer death metal band following the Tech-Death crowd, showcasing odd time signatures with augmented scale runs and such. Although, their bass player uses a 6th string, so you might have to rework the fingering for some of those hyper bass fills that he throws in.

Novembre is an atmospheric death metal band from Italy, relatively unknown in the states. They have great bass players, with the best (in my opinion) being on the Arte Novencento album, though Dreams D'Azur, Novembrine Waltz, and Materia have some cool lines underneath the guitars.

And Carcass as recommended earlier.

Some of Morbid Angel is written in B, so check them out for some old school american death metal. ( Formulas Fatal to the Flesh FTW!!)

Atheist is another tech-death band that has a huge jazz influence. They had phenomenal bass players such as Rob Patterson, and Tony Choy. Check out Piece of Time and Unquestionable Presence for their more metal oriented material.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
+a billion on Atheist, amazing basslines!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
2 things... 1) I thought Amon Amarth was viking metal, and 2) I heard somewhere that Paul Grey (slipknot) actually only puts 3 strings on so it would technically be BEA, though Im probably dead wrong on that last one.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by thegiaco2112
sadus death

Death was in D standard, and I'm not sure about Sadus, I've never listened to them. If I remember right, they have Steve DiGiorgio in it though? If so, they're automatically awesome. Fretless in Metal = Sexy.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
Death was in D standard, and I'm not sure about Sadus, I've never listened to them. If I remember right, they have Steve DiGiorgio in it though? If so, they're automatically awesome. Fretless in Metal = Sexy.

i recomend elements of anger great bass solo steve di giorgio rules
Quote by silentdob
2 things... 1) I thought Amon Amarth was viking metal, and 2) I heard somewhere that Paul Grey (slipknot) actually only puts 3 strings on so it would technically be BEA, though Im probably dead wrong on that last one.

I wouldn't doubt this, but I just noticed that his sig bass in the Ibanez catalog comes pre-tuned BEAD, so I suspected thats what he plays in.

Why would he just put three strings on his bass? That just sounds silly.
Quote by BlueShox
I wouldn't doubt this, but I just noticed that his sig bass in the Ibanez catalog comes pre-tuned BEAD, so I suspected thats what he plays in.

Why would he just put three strings on his bass? That just sounds silly.

He at least used to, when he played Warwick basses. I'm also clueless as to why he did so.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by silentdob

Viking metal is just a colorful offshoot for "we are really a melodic death metal band but we are labeling ourselves something different..." They have all the elements of melo-death, but dress all the riffs up with Pagan lyrics and such.

Slipknot only has 1 bass player? And he plays with 3 strings? You would think with 9 people on stage............

Back on topic, "Everything Counts" by In Flames from Whoracle album is an amazing song in B.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by silentdob

Viking metal is still metal.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Viking metal is still metal.

Im aware of that, just clearing which branch of the 5418884123645 branches of metal they were from.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/