so my bands playing a show tonite, and we just got a new singer this week, so we literally put a set together an hour before the show. of course it was a pretty easy set, just a quick crowd pleaser sort of thing, like we had an hour.
anyway we're playing santeria by sublime, i'm playing through this kids mesa boogie tube amp, and i'm slowly starting to hear the volume fade, right before the solo the amp just stops. luckily the rest of my band keeps jamming on the song, i look behind the amp and i see a bright red tube.....now i'm like....... oh sh**t!
i hold up the cable, look over to some kids i knew, and im like "HELP!!"
this kid runs over, finds another working amp, plugs me in, we start from the solo and finish the song.
i think thats probably the best way we could have handled it, it just looks so bad to stop a song right in the middle, you gotta just keep playing and goof around on stage a little to keep the crowd entertained

anyway does anyone have any stories like that?
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Well, this is nowhere near that bad, but at my band's first gig I jumped, landed on the cable, moved sideways, and pulled it out of the guitar. This was before I knew about wrapping it through the strap. Luckily though, it was only about ten seconds into the song, so we just stopped and started over.
I thought this was about Technical Difficulties by Racer X.

Anyway, the only technical difficulty I've had during a show was when I stomped on my EQ before my solo (during a slow, soft part that precedes the solo) and I got crazy feedback.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
My worst techincal difficulty was a smoking amp (which was still running perfectly) which was actually on fire and almost melted the cymbal it was close to.
My worst technical difficulty was when my drummer and I were doing an improve thing at a local bar. They had two acoustic sets before us so we had a lot of time before we went on. Well, we had a lot of friends there and they were all buying us drinks. Needless to say I was insanely wasted and my drummer was wasted and high. So we get up there and it feels like I'm moving in slow motion the whole time I'm playing. After playing for about 20 minutes I sit down on the floor and my drummer and I play this jazz song for 40 minutes. It was the only thing I was able to play. Although, everyone said we were amazing; I don't believe them. Moral of the story: Never get too drunk or high before playing a show.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
All the time, the first time we played at the Dirty South (if anyone knows where that is) our (now) old singer, who is the smallest and most timid person known to the entire human race, killed two microphones during Hotel California, and this is a fully professional place we are just cursed with bad luck equipment-wise
Quote by captain_jack
Well, this is nowhere near that bad, but at my band's first gig I jumped, landed on the cable, moved sideways, and pulled it out of the guitar. This was before I knew about wrapping it through the strap. Luckily though, it was only about ten seconds into the song, so we just stopped and started over.

lol dude..... now thats funny......

i stepped on my cable one time playing at church.... lol thats when i figured out to do that so... it hase never happened at a gig
i've had amps die, cables snapped, strings break, picks fall out of my hand. mics die, all that.

but the funniest thing i've ever seen was my friend on stage, during his first set ever, he was ready to go, he plugged in his guitar, and NO SOUND WAS coming out!!! his face went white, he didn't know what to do. after watching him squirm for a min. i walked up and told him that one of his cable jacks wasn't plugged into a pedal! it was too funny.
Cream fan club member #11.
Quote by P.B.
i've had amps die, cables snapped, strings break, picks fall out of my hand. mics die, all that.

but the funniest thing i've ever seen was my friend on stage, during his first set ever, he was ready to go, he plugged in his guitar, and NO SOUND WAS coming out!!! his face went white, he didn't know what to do. after watching him squirm for a min. i walked up and told him that one of his cable jacks wasn't plugged into a pedal! it was too funny.

That is a noob error, but funny nonetheless
all of thos things have happened to us, but another one of my favourite stories is at a music course we were at we bundled our band together and played one of our tunes, towards the end of the song i jumped off of the bass drum, smacked my guitarist and ripped the lead out of his guitar

Another good story, we were playing at a Christmas street party, at the end of the same song i jumped off the stage, but when i jumped back on i got the lead hooked into the stage and ripped the input bit off of the actual cable, there was a lead in the guitar inputr, but not in the actual guitar lol
I've been through a ton of technical difficulties.

1. We were playing a show on Halloween, and we just played on the floor in the crowd, and a mosh pit started, and someone got pushed into my mic stand, which tipped over and hit me in the face, and they knocked one of my cables loose when they got pushed. It took a little while to figure out what came unplugged since there was no light at all in the place.

2. I broke a string about 5 seconds into a song, and the first minute or so is just me doing a solo. We went into the verse right away, and I had my friend grab a new string out of my case and restring my guitar while I was still playing. He just tuned it up randomly, and it ended up perfectly in tune for the outtro which was basically the same as the intro.

3. My band has also blown fuses/knocked out the power during our set for 3 consecutive shows. The first time as just at a mini festival in town, and we played our last few songs acoustically, and then played our closer since the power came back on. The next time, we were playing a show at a Relay for Life event, and the power went out again, and our drummer went into a mini drum solo and we ended up sitting on stage laughing until the power was back. The final time was at a battle of the bands, and we blew out the power again, lights of the venue included this time, and our drummer went into a huge drum solo again, and as the power came back on, we went into a jam, which lead back into the song where we were at.

I've also had plenty of other times of cables getting pulled out, cables dying, mics refusing to work, pedals dying, mics getting unplugged, strings breaking, etc.
I break strings constantly during performances. I'm always running backstage and grabbing other guitars. It's usually hillarious, my band just keeps going as if nothings happening.

FIRST SHOW: during second song, drummer is using some other kids kit, all of the sudden the drums stop and my drummers on the floor trying to re-attatch the thing that hits the bass drum because it fell off. Thought he fixed it but it fell again third song. Fixed it, then I broke a string fourth song.

I have funny videos of that show. It's priceless to see my reaction. I wish I knew how to upload them. Their in some wierdass format.
Last edited by WhereArtEsteban at Feb 7, 2008,
I once (while headbanging during one of the guitarists solos) fell off the front of the stage and took this HUGE monitor wedge with me.
I landed on my back on the floor with this soddin' great box on top of me, managed to get to my feet, humped the monitor back on stage, and was back behind the mic just in time for my next line.

It got the biggest cheer of the night.